character login, name, password

Zobeid

character login, name, password

Post by Zobeid »

Trying to figure out how to get my character to login when I open a connection. I can see where to enter my name and password in the profile, but when I connect it just sends the name, then it sends the password. It doesn't send a normal login command. Every MUCK that I connect to uses the same format…

Code: Select all

connect <username> <password>
So, next I tried putting the entire login line into the username field, but then Mudlet just refused to send anything to the MUCK?

Vadi

Re: character login, name, password

Post by Vadi »

Yeah, Mudlet expects both the username and the password before being filled out. It doesn't support the "connect username password" syntax - so you could make a trigger for it instead.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Or you could put some dummy command in the username field, followed by the whole connect command in the password line, or vice versa.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

That's a good idea, maybe a space will work

Zobeid

Post by Zobeid »

Vadi wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:15 am
Yeah, Mudlet expects both the username and the password before being filled out. It doesn't support the "connect username password" syntax - so you could make a trigger for it instead.
uhh… Seriously? What syntax does it support? I've been MUCKing for many, many years, and I have never seen a MUCK anywhere that uses a different login command!

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

As you've discovered Mudlet sends the character name first and the password second :)

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

... because it is anticipating the standard Telnet

Mud Server name at somewhere or other....

login: <characterName>
followed by, once you have types your character name:

password:
Sequence of events.

Importantly, Mudlet does not currently respect the Telnet ECHO (sub-option 1 IIRC) convention that it is a no-no for both ends to display the text going in one direction simultaneously - so that when the remote end says it will do the echoing of characters sent to it - we do not enable it and (temporarily) turn off our echoing of what we sent if the "Show the text you sent" option is enabled - which means that passwords are left visible in log files as that is typically when the Server will try to use a IAC WILL ECHO to prevent the Client - in this case the Mudlet application - from showing such content that is supposed to be hidden...! :geek:

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Honestly, why can’t we just allow a simple “script” for login, where it takes the name and password, from the fields, and lets you send arbitrary text to the game, while substituting the values as needed? It would allow auto-login use for any game, not just those games that accept the name and password exactly as you are currently sending them. Obviously the current system is simpler, but I don’t see any downsides to expanding it to allow more games to be accommodated.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

It would certainly technically work but I can also see peole going "uhh seriously? you have to write a script just to setup autologin? this thing is too complicated"

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

I did consider when I put in the getProfileName() whether there should also be:
  • getLoginName() so a script could find out what name the player is using in the game
  • sendLoginName()
  • sendPassword()
and the latter pair either being silent or with perhaps a "[INFO] - {Character Name|Password} sent." messages to allow scripts to do that sort of thing - without revealing to the lua system what the password is...

... although there would probably also have to be a checkbox with a default checked state on the connection profiles dialogue near the "Character Name"/"Login" entry fields with the function "Send Name and Password automatically on connection" to preserve the existing behaviour - so that if it is cleared then the user will script something themselves using those putative functions. Of course they may also want to clear such a checkbox on the first connection with a new profile because the Character Name and Password is not yet known to the Server as the Character has not been created yet...!