character login, name, password

Jor'Mox

Re: character login, name, password

Post by Jor'Mox »

You guys are taking my wording way too seriously. I didn't mean any real code when I said "script". I meant something like this for the default:

Code: Select all

$name
$password
Something like this for the games this guy plays:

connect $name $password
And something like this for my game:

y

l
$name
$password
Essentially just a way for people to send a few arbitrary commands to login, with some basic stand-ins for the name and password they put in the boxes.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Well as it would likely be a lua script those functions would provide the values you'd need. Mudlet does not use $ to identify variables like a shell script (or like TinTin++ and then ZMud which copied it originally). I would not be minded to actually furnish a password to the lua system but then that might make it tricky to include it in a longer string - so I'd have to change the putative sendPassword() function to be sendPassword([optonal before text], [optional after text]) but that would be achievable and reasonable, I think.

Having a special syntax, format, whatever just to log in does not seem sensible to me - however a (event) script that is run when the event system puts out the sysConnectionEvent is completly within the scope and capabilities of the existing infrastructure...

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

I don't disagree that having such a syntax doesn't make sense if ONLY used for login purposes, but as I have mentioned at other times, I think Mudlet would benefit from incorporating that simplified system to allow for people used to it (coming from other clients) to more easily take advantage of aliases and triggers as well. It would be trivial to make a function to parse that sort of a simple variable system and substitute in the necessary values, and then it would simply be a matter of running such a parser over the "Command" to be sent by an alias or trigger when something is put in those boxes. It would give someone coming from cMud, ZMud, or TinTin++ (and many others that have somewhat similar though also somewhat different variable systems) instant access to capture groups in triggers and aliases, without having to learn Lua or Mudlet functions, which in my experience has been a major stumbling block for people looking to switch clients.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

From what I've seen the biggest issues so far have been the mapper not working out of the box for games, so that's where the next efforts are.

We could also solve this problem while adapting the mapper to a billion games out there by setting up autologin unique to the games out there.