Trying to create toggleable windows

teker

Trying to create toggleable windows

Post by teker »

I'm trying to figure out how to make UI windows that can be enabled/shown or disabled/hidden and change functionality on the fly. For example, an optional chat window. When the window is up, I'd like it to append the text to the chat window. When it's hidden or closed, I want the chat messages to remain in the main console. The main problem I am having is figuring out how to identify if a given window has been created and if it is visible or hidden. Is it possible to do that?

Jor'Mox

Re: Trying to create toggleable windows

Post by Jor'Mox »

As far as I'm aware, you can't check the status of a window in the way you are describing, so the method you would need to use would be to create some sort of boolean variable that you toggle when you toggle the status of the window, and check that variable when needed.

teker

Post by teker »

I am keeping state internally but I can't find a way to keep my state synchronized - like identifying when the user manually closes the window.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Not possible, at least not that I know. There is no way to track when a user closes a userWindow, unless appending to a window that doesn't exist causes some sort of error (I don't use userWindows, I focus on miniConsoles, because they are much easier to work with). IF there is an error when you try to write to a closed window, you could use pcall to catch that error and work from there.

teker

Post by teker »

Can I determine if a miniConsole exists?

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Miniconsoles can only be dealt with via code, so there is no ability for users to close them short of executing an arbitrary function call. So, no, you can’t check to see if they exist, but it should generally be only your code that has the power to open or close them, so you should be able to track that as it happens.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Ah closeUserWindow (the Lua command) is functionally the same as the Lua command hideUserWindow(...) - I suppose someone could probably write some C++ in the TLuaInterpreter class code to detect whether a windows is visible or not after using lua commands showWindow(...)/hideWindow(...) or if the user has done it themselves by clicking on the hide button? Is that what you are looking for?