Install troubles

volatilemonk

Install troubles

Post by volatilemonk »

Tring in install mudlet 3.7.1 on a windows 8.1 machine. After install it will run the program only once but won’t connect to any games. After resetting and trying again the mudlet.exe and shortcut on my desktop will delete themselves. Help?

Vadi

Re: Install troubles

Post by Vadi »

Try running the setup again?

volatilemonk

Post by volatilemonk »

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, no kind of setup window ever popped up it just installed itself. The program will run once though it can't seem to connect to a mud server. When closed it won't open again unless I reset. After I do reset and try to run the program the mudlet.exe and the shortcut on the desktop with delete themselves. There is often not even an error message that pops up but occasionally I will get one that says windows cannot access the specified device, path or file because I may not have permissions to access them.

volatilemonk

Post by volatilemonk »

Okay so, some more digging revealed another piece of the puzzle. Bitdefender has been blocking it thinking Atc4.Detection was malware.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Well Atc4.Detection does seem to be malware - but it is not something that we will be distributing as part of our product! Forsooth, just where did you get your copy of Mudlet from?

volatilemonk

Post by volatilemonk »

https://www.mudlet.org/download/ I spoke with bitdefender about trying to whitelist it, but I haven't been able to get that to work just yet.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

AV's have false positives. If the Mudlet download did have an issue, then I think that a lot more than 1 software vendor would have picked it up and we'd know about it by now.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

Humm, I've downloaded the Windows 3.7.1 executable installer onto my GNU/Linux machine and my dolphin file manager confirms the SHA256 checksum of 0ae39ad5c686cb9929ca371f597cadea37f6b42dd43355273cf5529168e939a5 and produces SHA1 and MD5 ones which match with what I got when I submitted it to Jotti's Malware scan. That has one of eighteen on-line virus scanners {the ClamAV one} reporting: "PUA.Win.Packer.Pseudosigner-36"; according to ClamAV's own documentation for Potentially Unwanted Applications for a "Packed" item:
This is a detection for files that use some kind of runtime packer. A runtime packer can be used to reduce the size of executable files without the need for an external unpacker. While this can‘t be considered malicious in general, runtime packers are widely used with malicious files since they can prevent a already known malware from detection by an Antivirus product.
Given that the nature of the executable installer is precisely to be a runtime [un-]packer it is not clear that this is anything other than a false positive...!

volatilemonk

Post by volatilemonk »

Tried disabling the advanced threat detection and reinstalling. Quarantine isn't grabbing up the exe file now but mudlet still isn't connecting to any servers.
Last edited by volatilemonk on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

Humm, is your Windows or other FireWall letting your connection through? Mudlet, like many other MUD Clients emulates a Telnet connection to the MUD Server and that sort of connection may well be blocked on Ẃindows platforms because it is so insecure for normal inter-Host links (for instance when you send your character name and password to a MUD Server, the password is sent in plain-text - even though we take steps to not even show it to you in the client after you have entered it...! ;) )