Ubuntu 10.10 crash

nexa33

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 crash

Post by nexa33 »

Sabiru wrote:Hmm. Are you getting a mess of poor-resolution instead of a splash screen when you boot up? 10.10 seems to be having serious issues with the proprietary video card drivers which it prompts you to install initially. Try going into restricted drivers and removing it (this significantly improves performance for me, sadly, despite warning that it will limit access to acceleration and what-not).
No Mudlet loaded up fine and I could connect to Achaea perfectly fine. It was just anytime I tried to click the Settings button, the entire screen would go black and would come back up at the login screen. I just re-installed 10.10 fresh so I'm hoping that might solve it. And I'm not using proprietary drivers this time like I was before.

I'm actually surprised this time around. The open source drivers are performing better than their closed-source counterparts, at least for me anyways. Have had no problems so far except I'm trying to figure out how to compile Mudlet from source but am having problems with Qmake.

nexa33

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 crash - SOLVED

Post by nexa33 »

Ok problem solved!

I reinstalled a fresh copy of Ubuntu 10.10 and compiled from source and can now load the settings box with no problem. I suspect it had to do with upgrading from 10.04 and/or using the FGLRX ATI drivers.

Sabiru

Post by Sabiru »

Ah, ok. When I said 'splash screen' I meant the screen which you see when you turn on your computer, but if you're using the linux drivers and not the fglrx then you should be fine. I think that was my problem re: settings, haven't been game to re-test the mapper yet sans ATI drivers

Edit: Mapper works (doesn't crash, but doesn't display extremely clearly) with the open source drivers. Crisis averted.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

ATI sucks. Poor you guys!

We'll make the note that on Linux, you should be using open-source ATI drivers.