Ubuntu 10.10 crash

nexa33

Ubuntu 10.10 crash

Post by nexa33 »

Upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 today and re-enabled the Mudlet repository and updated Mudlet. Now Mudlet loads fine but whenever I try to access the Settings while Achaea is loaded, it crashes the X server and I am logged out and have to log back in to Ubuntu.

Is there a log file that I can post to assist in determining the problem?

Shota

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 crash

Post by Shota »

hi nexa33

firstly - I have not used mudlet's ppa repository on ubuntu. My first attempt to use it resulted in a buggy client, and I didn't try again after that. I would highly recommend building mudlet from source - it's pretty easy to do on ubuntu 10.10, and is likely going to result in a faster, more stable client for your system.

..to that end, check out this How-To (Compile Mudlet on Ubuntu 10.10)

secondly - I have no idea what is causing your problem.

(!) When X crashes, does it give an error message?

(!) Have you done a fresh install of Mudlet, after completely removing it from your system?

If this is a Mudlet specific problem, I'm really at a loss. I don't have the time right now to sniff around the client to even get an idea of what might be causing this. However, if this -is- a valid problem with X, then I can at least point you in the right direction. I'll be honest though - If you aren't familiar with backtracing, gdb, and X, then it might be kind of a pain.

Well, maybe not.. I suppose you could use Apport to handle the backtrace for X, but it would be really nice if X is providing an error message. If the problem really is with X, it's likely not an issue with X or Mudlet's code, but rather your systems configuration of X.

Ubuntu 10.10 running what video driver? etc. If your configuration is bad, you should probably check out Ubuntu's troubleshooting resources, as in their forums or wiki.

Cheers.

Shota

Post by Shota »

Sorry..

Also try finding your Xorg log files, which would be somewhere like /var/log/Xorg.#.log

We'll see if that offers some clues.

Sabiru

Post by Sabiru »

Shota wrote:hi nexa33

firstly - I have not used mudlet's ppa repository on ubuntu. My first attempt to use it resulted in a buggy client, and I didn't try again after that. I would highly recommend building mudlet from source - it's pretty easy to do on ubuntu 10.10, and is likely going to result in a faster, more stable client for your system.

Hi there.

I had the same problem earlier with the settings button - fresh install of 10.10, mudlet compiled by following your thread. It doesn't crash it reliably (has only happened once for me), but it's big when it does. I don't know where I should be looking for error logs either.

Also, clicking the 'map' button (connected to achaea) calls a segfault and closes mudlet. I use the map quite a bit when I am able to (on windows, etc) : (

nexa33

Post by nexa33 »

Shota wrote:hi nexa33

secondly - I have no idea what is causing your problem.

(!) When X crashes, does it give an error message?

(!) Have you done a fresh install of Mudlet, after completely removing it from your system?

If this is a Mudlet specific problem, I'm really at a loss. I don't have the time right now to sniff around the client to even get an idea of what might be causing this. However, if this -is- a valid problem with X, then I can at least point you in the right direction. I'll be honest though - If you aren't familiar with backtracing, gdb, and X, then it might be kind of a pain.

Well, maybe not.. I suppose you could use Apport to handle the backtrace for X, but it would be really nice if X is providing an error message. If the problem really is with X, it's likely not an issue with X or Mudlet's code, but rather your systems configuration of X.

Ubuntu 10.10 running what video driver? etc. If your configuration is bad, you should probably check out Ubuntu's troubleshooting resources, as in their forums or wiki.

Cheers.
Ok I have removed the repository and uninstalled Mudlet. I will try building from source to see if that works. Mudlet worked fine on 10.04 so I'm wondering if it had something to do with when I upgraded to 10.10. I tried installing a fresh copy of Mudlet after seeing the problem appear on 10.10 but that didn't fix the problem.

I am running:
AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core processor
5.8 GB RAM (technically 6 GB)
Ubuntu 10.10
Kernel Linux 2.6.32-25-generic
GNOME 2.32.0
ATI Radeon HD 4600 series

Trying to attach my Xorg log but it's not letting me for some reason. I click add file and it just refreshes the page and I don't see any attachnment. I am running the ATI FGLRX graphics driver.

nexa33

Post by nexa33 »

Ok tried the steps for installing on Ubuntu 10.10 like you had suggested and I'm still getting the crash when I select the Settings button. :-(

Basically when I click on the Settings button, my screen goes completely black and then it comes back after a second at the login screen and I have to log back in as if my computer restarted (even though it technically didn't restart).

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

This seems to be a bug in your video card driver. Post the x error log please.

You need to select the file and then click on upload to attach a file.

nexa33

Post by nexa33 »

Heiko wrote:This seems to be a bug in your video card driver. Post the x error log please.

You need to select the file and then click on upload to attach a file.
I even tried disabling visual effects earlier today to see if that was causing the problem after I compiled Mudlet according to Shota's instructions. I'll try uploading the log again tonight when I get home from work.

EDIT: I was trying to upload a .txt file and apparently that extension isn't allowed for an upload which is why I couldn't upload the log before.
Last edited by nexa33 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

nexa33

Post by nexa33 »

I have attached my Xorg log.
Attachments
xorg log.odt
(38.87 KiB) Downloaded 589 times

Sabiru

Post by Sabiru »

Hmm. Are you getting a mess of poor-resolution instead of a splash screen when you boot up? 10.10 seems to be having serious issues with the proprietary video card drivers which it prompts you to install initially. Try going into restricted drivers and removing it (this significantly improves performance for me, sadly, despite warning that it will limit access to acceleration and what-not).