Connection problem with non-IRE mud

Goat

Connection problem with non-IRE mud

Post by Goat »

So, I've tried out using Mudlet today. It works fine when I connect to Aetolia and Imperian. There's also another non-IRE mud I play. I connect to it and then about 3-4 seconds later, like it looks like someone's just entered a blank line into the client, and then I no longer receive output from the game, but it keeps me connected. It's not the Mud either, because I can connect and play it just fine in AL Client.

Any ideas? :(

naftali

Re: Connection problem with non-IRE mud

Post by naftali »

No idea what the problem is or how to solve it, but whoever will figure it out will need more details. name of the mud/port to connect? Which protocol it uses? Etc.

Goat

Post by Goat »

I'm not sure what 'Protocol' the game uses.

But the address and port is raiden.servegame.org 9009.

I can take a screencap too if you want. It's just so weird to me. If I enter my account name/pw and stuff real quick I can do it, but then it's like after 4 seconds it just freezes and stops working. Yet doesn't disconnect me.

Goat

Post by Goat »

Interesting. I messed with the Settings in Mudlet and when I enabled the 'force compression off' option, suddenly it was working fine again. The problem with that is that I'd like to use MCCP on there in Mudlet, it's one of the reasons I got Mudlet to begin with.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Perhaps your MUD has broken MCCP compression? Has anyone else raised such an issue?

Goat

Post by Goat »

I thought that might be the case, but I'm not so sure. I downloaded the MCCP Proxy program you can connect to at localhost to use MCCP with a non-MCCP client, and it works fine that way. I just wish it worked that way in Mudlet.

Fo-Rum

Post by Fo-Rum »

I connected to raiden.servegame.org:9009 with Mudlet and experienced the same problem. I then went into preference->special options, and turned on "force compression off", I saved the profile and exited. Loaded up Mudlet, reconnected, and no more problem. Turning off "force compression off" and reloading Mudlet gave me the same problem.

So, try turning on "force compression off", saving your profile and reloading Mudlet. According to my results, it should fix it for you.

Goat

Post by Goat »

Yeah. But I find it strange that the MCCP Proxy program can use MCCP with it no problem, and yet Mudlet seems to not be able to.

KaVir

Post by KaVir »

Vadi wrote:Perhaps your MUD has broken MCCP compression? Has anyone else raised such an issue?
I'm running into the exact same issue on my mud as well - if I connect with Mudlet, the session freezes. I can see the echo of the commands I type, but nothing else. However my commands are going through, and I can send tells to my other characters. I can also quit, which displays the Mudlet closed session message.

I temporarily commented out the other mud protocols in my mud, to make sure there wasn't a conflict. I negotiate for TTYPE still, and that works fine, but after that I negotiate for MCCP and that's where it freezes up. If I comment out the MCCP negotiation, there are no problems. Note that I only support MCCP2, not MCCP1.

I'm not having any trouble connecting with other clients though. I maintain statistics on client usage, and I've got 237 active characters using MCCP, using 13 different clients, and Mudlet seems to be the only one with an issue. I ran a few tests myself using MUSHclient (which closes on a compression error) and TinTin++ (which attempts to recover, but yells at you about it) and they both work fine.

This was only reported to me last night so I've not yet had the chance to test it thoroughly, but I'll try and have a better look in the next couple of days. The wierd thing is that Mudlet seems to have no problem connecting to other muds, just as other clients seem to have no problem connecting to my mud.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Alright, so little room for compression problems then. But if MCCP is disabled in options, connecting works fine?

I played GW2 for a bit before and it was fine... I'll try it again later today.