'Delete' key

naftali

'Delete' key

Post by naftali »

Sometimes, for no reason I can understand, the delete key stops working. All keybindings also won't fire. ALT-DELETE will still delete a whole word, but the delete key on it's own will not delete single letters. This applies for both the scripting window and the main window.

Sometimes switching out and into Mudlet using either CMD-TAB or by clicking on the dock icons helps, while other times clicking on labels fixes it. The fix seems to be different each time, and sometimes it seems to happen for no reason at all. Been happening for a while now, VERY frustrating. Anybody else have this problem?

Oh, yes. Mudlet 1.1.1 (been happening since before that though, I'm pretty sure) on Mac OSX 10.5.8

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: 'Delete' key

Post by Heiko »

This smells like a qt bug on Macs. There has been a similar thing before -> losing focus on line edits. This could be related. If you try to find out a bit more about it I can probably make a workaround until the bug has been fixed by Nokia.

naftali

Post by naftali »

Heiko wrote:This smells like a qt bug on Macs. There has been a similar thing before -> losing focus on line edits. This could be related. If you try to find out a bit more about it I can probably make a workaround until the bug has been fixed by Nokia.
How/where would I find this out? I have never heard or experienced anything like this before. Also, so far as I know I don't use QT for macs, isn't that a linux thing?

Oh, and quitting mudlet doesn't fix the bug, but it doesn't seem to show up in any other applications either.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Qt is the underlying cross platform C++ GUI framework Mudlet uses (qt.nokia.com).

The problem is that your problem only shows sometimes. You'll need to describe it more clearly. Do you have a key binding for the delete key? Do all keybindings stop to work for you sometimes or only delete?

naftali

Post by naftali »

Heiko wrote:Qt is the underlying cross platform C++ GUI framework Mudlet uses (qt.nokia.com).

The problem is that your problem only shows sometimes. You'll need to describe it more clearly. Do you have a key binding for the delete key? Do all keybindings stop to work for you sometimes or only delete?
No keybinding for delete. Whenever the problem happens all keybindings stop working.

One thing - I'm pretty sure CMD-` still works to cycle between mudlet windows (the main window and the scripting window, for instance). I imagine that's handled by the system rather than Qt.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Please try the following: A known qt bug on Mac is that focus is being lost somehow. When keybindings stop working, please click with the mouse into the command line. This should set the focus back to the command line and thus keybindings should work again. Keybindings are tied to the command line having focus. Please report if this workaround is successful then I can try to come up with some workaround solution in Mudlet unti the bug has been fixed by Nokia.

naftali

Post by naftali »

Clicking in the command line doesn't work. I suggest looking into the possibility that malevolent demons are behind it, since it only seems to happen when it will result in my death :x