input lag on Ubuntu

Nitro

input lag on Ubuntu

Post by Nitro »

I am running Mudlet under Ubuntu 9.10. I'm currently using version 1.1.0 preview, but I've had the issue with every version of Mudlet I was using before (1.0.5 for example). Under Windows everything works fine.

Whenever I send a command to the mud I am playing it feels like I am lagging. However after closely watching it turned out that it is not normal lag (logged into the mud with telnet and there is a -noticeable- difference). The command which is send to the mud is only echoed on the screen 0.2-0.4 second after pressing the enter key. I've tried compiling 1.0.5 on my own computer to no avail.

Anyone experiencing a similar issue? Or anyone has any clue what is going on? I'd love to use Mudlet under Ubuntu. :(

naftali

Re: input lag on Ubuntu

Post by naftali »

Do you have lots of regexp triggers? If so change as many as possible to substring triggers and see if that helps.

Also, a good way to tell if the lag is from your scripts/triggers/aliases is to look in the lower right-hand corner and you should see 2 numbers. The left hand one is the network lag, and the right hand one is the system lag. Normal amount of system lag (I have lotsa triggers and stuff) is less than 0.01 - does your lag show up there? If so then I think the problem is in your code - try connecting on a new profile and moving things over piece by piece and keep checking to see when the lag shows up.

Nitro

Post by Nitro »

I have the same issue with a clean profile without any triggers/aliases/.... The network lag says about 210 ms (my normal latency), the system lag is 0.000 always.

naftali

Post by naftali »

Hrm. Well I'm stumped, but I know that if I thought I COULD figure out the answer I would probably have to ask you what version of Ubuntu you're running and on what hardware, so maybe post that here so somebody else can answer the question?

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

Also, and probably even more importantly, which 1.1.0 preview version? 1.1.0pre is in a state of high flux as we prepare for the release, so it's important to know which version to test and how. Is it -all- commands that take that long to carry out? Or does it just happen after awhile. Does it work fine for awhile, then happen like a switch? If so, is it when you scroll up or down? I seem to recall there was a bug with scrolling/split screen in the main window/buffer, but I'm not sure if that would be applicable or not.

seldan

Post by seldan »

I'm running 1.1.0-pre3 on Ubuntu 32 bit and don't notice this at all, nor on previous versions. However, I've had similar issues in the past, with other clients, and it always tends to end up being related to runaway triggers. I'd try to temporarily halt triggers and see if that eases it.. if it does you can drill down from there.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

This isn't the case for him (her?) unfortunately, as it still happens on a blank profile. I don't know what could be causing this either though.

Do you have hardware drivers installed?

Nitro

Post by Nitro »

Vadi wrote:Do you have hardware drivers installed?
Oh my, I'm a real Ubuntu newbie. Apparently my video driver was not correctly installed. I redid it, and now everything works smooth! Thanks guys!

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Ah. Excellent then :D