Modifying timers

aeternalis

Modifying timers

Post by aeternalis »

I'm new to the forums. I've been using Mudlet for a few weeks now, and I'm liking it so far. :D

Anyhow, I just have a quick question.

Is there a way to modify the time value of a timer that already exists? Or am I going to have to write a messy workaround using temporary timers?

Vadi

Re: Modifying timers

Post by Vadi »

What do you mean? You can't modify the value of a tempTimer of course (unless you're having it execute a function, and the function does different thing)... but your workaround mentions using a tempTimer instead :|

aeternalis

Post by aeternalis »

Well, I wanted to know if I can change the time on a permTimer that already exists. I want to keep the same value, I just need to change when it fires.

When I mentioned the workaround, I just meant if I can't modify the time on a permTimer, I'm going to have to use tempTimers instead and kill/recreate a new tempTimer whenever I want to change the time.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

No, tempTimers are more suited for that purpose.

Visual timers are just for something you'd like to multi-fire or you want to clicky create it :|

aeternalis

Post by aeternalis »

tempTimers are what I've been using, I just wanted to know if there was an alternative that was a little bit easier.

With tempTimers I wrote something to keep track of which tempTimer ID is assigned to which value, and to make sure my system can check if the timer exists or not, and if it does, when the timer will fire. It just adds another layer and makes things a little confusing at times, but that's not a huge problem. I'm still getting used to Mudlet after having used MUSHclient for years, so I miss little things like this.

Anyhow, just wanted to check up on that. You answered my question. Thanks :)