Encoding in Cyrillic KOI-8 R.

Phazeus

Re: Encoding in Cyrillic KOI-8 R.

Post by Phazeus »

:( very sadly :((

Olostan

Post by Olostan »

I am using 'Mudlet 2.0-rc4 built: January 19, 2011' (Ubuntu 11.04), but as I see 'Character Encoding' is grayed and it pre-filled with 'English (ASCII)' value and there is no any possibility to switch to anything else (utf8/koi8-r/win1251).

Is there any possibility to change to other encoding? I do not need LUA (yet), so if it is problem with lua-unicode, I would live without it if output/input would be unicoded/koi8r-ed...

Seems mudlet is a only nice looking mud client, but without possibility to change encoding there would be no use for me at all from it :(

// I'm connecting to mud.c7i.ru 9000 that have possibility to test supported encoding by client (entering '?' in 'Codepage:' prompt, but as I see no suitable encoding could be used with mudlet....

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Mudlet requries Lua to be nice-looking though :\

Olostan

Post by Olostan »

So as for no there is no any way to get encoding other then "English (ASCII)"? ... env. vars, recompile... anything?

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

You can get older version of Mudlet (pre 1.0). Mudlet used to be able to deal with KOI-8 R, unicode etc..
It's simply a lot of work to fully support unicode at this point because Lua isn't ready - or at least it means that people have to make compromises and it would be more difficult for newbies. I've made an attempt to support Chinese via unicode and even build a post 1.0 demo that could use a few important Lua functions such as echo(), but I didn't get enough help from Chinese developers so I called it quits. The Russian MUD community may contribute though and revitalize the unicode project, but I doubt that this will happen - and until then I have zero interest in this area.

Olostan

Post by Olostan »

Just to inform everybody who is interested: I've succeeded in recompiling and changing lastest mudlet from git to support unicode.It was little bit tricky (as even build was not working - many files missing from CMakeLists.txt and cmake was not able to build).

But as for now unicode input + output working. Lua scripting works also (I've tried aliases + simple triggers, and regexp patterns like "test (\pL+) this" works!

Its so cool :)

But to make this I needed to replace many 'toLatin1' conversions with 'toUnicode' etc, so I am not sure that it wont break others' scripts (actually if people was not used unicode, eveything should work)

So question to admins: what is better to do to make unicode version available to everyone? Make a separate branch or somebody who has many scripts can test if unicode support change anything?

burchun

Post by burchun »

and until then I have zero interest in this area.
I so sad :(

sangeet

Post by sangeet »

any changes in this subject? still no plans to allow for KOI-8 R support?

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

I think you are more likely to convince someone to create a unicode version for you, separate from the main version. Based on one of the posts above, it seems possible for someone that knows what they are doing.

sangeet

Post by sangeet »

Well, there has been one around a couple of years ago, but it's no longer supported by the author. :)