Caled

Re: fonts and their display

Post by Caled »

Woo!!

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

As reported earlier, I've built in an option for non-anti-aliased text display to improve font sharpness for users with lower screen resolutions. I've done some testing now and font quality looks the same as cmud for courier now. The only difference is the distance between lines. CMud uses a very short distance whereas Mudlet and Mushclient use larger distances. I've chosen a larger distance between lines to make reading easier. The advantage of a shorter distance is that ansi maps line up better and that you can get more lines of text on the display.
I think that the very short distance in cmud makes reading long passages of text unnecessarily hard.
What's your opinion on the line spacing? Keep it or make it shorter?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Keep it, with an option for this? I see the main window having a preference for this.

Though personally, you adapt to cmuds spacing just fine from what I remember. It wasn't an issue for me.

Caled

Post by Caled »

I found I got used to it with CMUD. I would certainly prefer the shorter line spacing, but since someone that doesn't see ascii maps would not care about it, I agree with Vadi that an option would be best.

While mudlet is going to have a neat mapper in the future, ascii maps don't just come from mudbot's mapper. Many muds have inbuilt map displays, and particularly for people new to those muds, a good ascii map display is both helpful for playing, and also for building their proper map.

Additionally, there are muds out there (including one IRE one in development) that use ascii displays for ship/spaceship etc display (xyz dimensions), and perfect alignment would be really desirable.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I think I'm missing something, then - it's aligned here
Attachments
screenshot_16.png
screenshot_16.png (26.48 KiB) Viewed 6786 times

Caled

Post by Caled »

Its not so obvious with the particular map you posted.
Attachments
cmudmapbig.png

Caled

Post by Caled »

And now in mudlet...
Attachments
mudletmapbig.png

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

tbh I find Mudlets to be better, but could be just me :)

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

I guess the term "alignment" is misleading. Both cmud and Mudlet align correctly. However, they differ in terms of vertical spacing. Mudlets and Mushclient use more spacing than cmud. Consequently, their map representations become slightly stretched on the y-axis. I think that's really a matter of taste.
The advantage of less spacing is that new wide screen notebooks with low y-resolution can display more lines on the screen. The big drawback is that longer passages of text definitely are more tiring to read. This is a commonly know fact. We can make this an option maybe.

Caled

Post by Caled »

Yeah, it is an option in zMud, but not CMUD.
And Vadi, do you watch TV in the wrong aspect-ratio as well? I don't see how it can be a matter of taste.
No chance it could be a scriptable option for miniconsoles instead? If maps captured could be displayed 'square' then all would be well. Or even dynamically changing it in the main window. A trigger on the start line of the map that sets the y to equal x, then another at the finish line setting it back to default?

That way the best of both worlds is possible.