Profile gone

BinaryMan

Profile gone

Post by BinaryMan »

Yesterday night, I loaded Mudlet and discovered that my entire character profile for that specific MUD was gone. Triggers, scripts, aliases, everything. Gone.

I've since started the lengthly process of rewriting everything over time (and making backups this time around).

Could anyone shed light on what could have prompted this or how to retrieve my profile data? Or both.

Vadi

Re: Profile gone

Post by Vadi »

That's new. Profiles are stored in ~/.config/mudlet (~ being your home folder, whatever it is on your OS). There is a profile folder there, with folders for each profile.

Is the specific folder still there?

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

This is not possible unless you have explicitely deleted this profile. Mudet's profiles are super safe, but backups on another medium are always a good idea. Mudlet stores profiles as xml snapshots i.e. Mudlet never ever overwrites existing data or deletes any old snapshots, but creates a new profile snapshot every time you save your profile. In the connection dialog you can see all those snapshots and roll back your profile to any of those snapshots whenever you like to.

The only code that actually deletes anything in Mudlet handles the "delete profile" button.

BinaryMan

Post by BinaryMan »

Vadi wrote:That's new. Profiles are stored in ~/.config/mudlet (~ being your home folder, whatever it is on your OS). There is a profile folder there, with folders for each profile.

Is the specific folder still there?
Yup.

BinaryMan

Post by BinaryMan »

Heiko wrote:This is not possible unless you have explicitely deleted this profile. Mudet's profiles are super safe, but backups on another medium are always a good idea. Mudlet stores profiles as xml snapshots i.e. Mudlet never ever overwrites existing data or deletes any old snapshots, but creates a new profile snapshot every time you save your profile. In the connection dialog you can see all those snapshots and roll back your profile to any of those snapshots whenever you like to.

The only code that actually deletes anything in Mudlet handles the "delete profile" button.
If it wasn't possible, I wouldn't have made this topic.

The .xml snapshots still exist. The section that appears to hold alias/trigger/script/etc settings are all blank, except for the latest profile in which I started rewriting everything.

I haven't made any direct changes to anything inside ~/.config nor have I made changes to any Mudlet profiles. Nonetheless, I didn't lose anything that I can't rewrite. I figured this problem was worth making a topic to at least make someone else aware of what I experienced.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

If your xml snapshots still exist you have lost nothing at all. Simply roll back your profile history to a slightly older version of your profile (connection dialog->select profile->profile history (ordered by date/time).

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Oh, definitely thank you for bringing it up, it's a problem that did happen while it should not. Hopefully you can get all your stuff back by loading an older snapshot.

Would be great to figure out how did it happen, though.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

It's important to make clear that each xml file in yourprofile/current contains the entire profile at the time when the file was written. When loading a profile the profile history loads the latest available snapshot unless otherwise chosen (->profile history).

BinaryMan

Post by BinaryMan »

BinaryMan wrote:The .xml snapshots still exist. The section that appears to hold alias/trigger/script/etc settings are all blank, except for the latest profile in which I started rewriting everything.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Because you don't use the profile history to load an older snapshot of your profile that still has content :D

Can you please post a screenshot that shows the content of mudletHome/profiles/<yourprofile>/current ? Please show file details.

You should have a bunch of .xml files in the current folder in your profile directory. All of these xml files are snapshots of your profile and they were recorded every time you pressed "save profile" or saved your profile on exit of Mudlet.

To load an older snapshot instead of the very latest one (which isnt what you want in your case) chose a snapshot in the connection dialog in profile history and connect. Mudlet will load this snapshot of your profile. This way, even if some snapshot got broken for whatever reason, you can still roll back your profile to a prior state.