Denarii

Re: Profile gone

Post by Denarii »

I had a profile disappear entirely, including the folder. :|

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

I will remove the delete profile button entirely and disable profile renaming.

Alaran

Post by Alaran »

Well I just wanted to add I had the same problem just now. In case it helps it happened like so:

I had profile "Aetolia" and "test" open in one window (two tabs). I went to close "test" with the x-button on the tab. That crashed Mudlet. Restarted it and hit connect. My "Aetolia" profile was suddenly gone. Only "test" remained. Opening test only showed the triggers and scrips that had been in that profile (as in the test profile). When I went to look at ~/.config/mudlet apparently my "Aetolia" profile folder had been renamed to "test". There was no additional "test" profile folder either.

Lucky me that my old snapshots of the profile were still in there.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

That's a very good bug report and finally shows what's going on when profiles vanish mysteriously. I'll look into this issue and release 1.0.6 to fix this and a few other issues asap.

I have a few questions, however.
1. Why did Mudlet crash when you closed the tab? Have you imported any packages containing event handlers (another bug that needs to be fixed in 1.0.6) or have you closed + reopened test before without restarting Mudlet prior to the crash?
2. When did the crash happen - while saving the profile, before or afterwards? Were you asked to save "test" on exit? What did you answer?

Alaran

Post by Alaran »

Hm, let's see if I remember this step by step.

1) Opened Mudlet and connected to my "Aetolia" profile. I probably had the settings editor open in case that makes any difference.
2) I then hit the connect button again and created the "test" profile. Opened the settings editor there and imported the Lusternia Fancy GUI script (which is here on these forums.)
3) It obviously didn't load correctly because the image path was wrong. So I replaced that in the editor, closed the editor, then attempted to close the tab.

And that's when it crashed. When I opened my "test" profile later on the path for the pictures had reverted to the original value too - so my changes were gone (not that that mattered, just saying).

So yes, I imported a package that had 1 registered event handler (from what I see anyhow). I did not close and/or re-open the "test" profile prior to this. I'm also using the linux version, if that makes any difference.

EDIT: I also -never- hit the save profile button anymore. Only save item (but in this case I didn't). I don't know the details anymore why I decided to stop using that button, but I think I found or thought to have found some connection between hitting that button and mudlet crashing (and my changes not getting saved as a result). I'm fairly sure that my amount of mudlet-crashes has become a much smaller one after I stopped hitting that button - but I can't prove it atm.

EDIT2: I also wasn't asked if I wanted to save the profile when I hit the x-button. It just seemed to close mudlet entirely without asking me anything. Which is what it looks like when it actually crashes.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

You should always use the save profile button as much as possible. It's not related to any crash issues whatsoever and it's a good insurance against data loss in the unlikely case a crash does happen. All known crash issues get fixed right away and currently there are only 3 known ways to crash Mudlet:
1. Deleting a script that has an attached event handler will cause a crash because the event handler data structures are not being cleaned up properly yet.
2. when using multiple connections, reloading a previously closed profile without restarting Mudlet.
3. Using setBg/FgColor() and possible other reformating functions on an undefined text selction *may* cause a crash and needs to be investigated - i.e. missing use of selectXXX() before using a format function on the current text selection.

If you are on Linux and experience any other weird crashes apart from the ones described above, chances are that your Linux distribution has broken or old and buggy qt libs that cause your crashes. The only way to get rid of these issues is to download the Qt-4.6-SDK from qt.nokia.com and compile Mudlet against the SDK. To do this you need to use the qmake from the sdk, not the regular one or cmake. After Mudlet has been build do ldd ./mudlet and check if Mudlet is really linked against the sdk. This method will not replace your system qt libs but just make sure that Mudlet is linked against good working libraries.

Alaran

Post by Alaran »

Well, I did a reinstall with Ubuntu 9.10 so my system isn't that old yet. As far as I've seen my libraries are up to date too.

The reason I'm necro-ing this thread is another, however. There are two more ways I've found to crash mudlet pretty regularly:

1) Lose connection while on a game. Hit reconnect. Have that reconnect fail due to your internet being down (isp's that reset connection regularly suck, but I don't have a choice). Hit reconnect again. Crash. As far as I've "done" this it has been 100% repeatable.

2) This one is less direct. I've started adding triggers, then sorting them alphabetically (to make it easier to find things). After a while trying to sort them with drag & drop has a huge chance to crash mudlet. I don't really know if there's a specific action leading up to this, but I've had it happen a couple times now too.

EDIT: Perhaps not the right thread to say this, but I didn't know where else to put it. ;)

lykas

Post by lykas »

help, all my triggers, aliases, and everything else was wiped, as if Mudlet decided to uninstall and re-install itself within the last thirty seconds after I had to CTRL-ALT-DLT and use task manager to end it's miserable frozen existence at the time, what can I do to retrieve my lost items?!?!

*edit: I tried loading an older snapshot, didn't work, I had tried EVERYTHING I could think of, loading an older snapshot doesn't seem to be working, since it automatically loads the CURRENT snapshot, even though it shouldn't be.

*edit: I even went back and deleted all the snapshots from today, and loaded an earlier one, still blank as all hell. this problem is the EXACT reason why I left nexus behind..if I wanted to have all my stuff dropped and irretrievable, I'd have stuck with nexus.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Mudlet never deletes any old profiles - even when uninstalled. Normally, you simply load an older snapshot by choosing the one you want from the dropdown list in the connect dialog.
If you really claim that this doesn't work for some reason, then make a screenshot of the file list in the profile folder current so that we can see the file size of the recent xml files in there. What version of Mudlet are you using? OS?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Deleting the snapshots might not have been such a good idea. Mudlet also does not uninstall and reinstall itself - it does not have the capability to do that... what happened that made you think that this happened?