Installation difficulty

Arundor

Installation difficulty

Post by Arundor »

I'm having some difficulty installing Mudlet properly on Windows XP x64. Old versions 1.0.3 and earlier work fine, but problems show up when I attempt to use version 1.0.5.1 or 1.0.5 or 1.0.4. Everything appears to work when running the installer, but when trying to run Mudlet itself I get "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002)".

I did some testing and found that this occurs on multiple different WinXP x64 systems, but not on x86 systems. Could the newer versions of Mudlet be incompatible with WinXP x64, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: Installation difficulty

Post by Heiko »

You need to uninstall Mudlet before installing a new version. We've upgraded some dlls.
I'm building Mudlet on XP 32. The binary and the dlls are 32 bit.
It is known to work on vista + windows 7 including the 64 bit versions, but I dont know about XP64. If your issues continue please get back to me.

Arundor

Post by Arundor »

I've tried uninstalling first. No luck, I'm afraid.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Mudlet installs all files into the installation folder. Consequently, there is no pollution of any system directories etc..
1.0.5 ships some upgraded libraries and adds a new Lua module. 1.0.4 also added new Lua modules and sqllite for sql database support. However, all of the new modules are optional and not needed to run Mudlet.
It is bizarre that 1.0.4 fails to run and as I cannot test the installer on XP64 we have to sort of approach the problem by trial and error. Please install 1.0.5.1 into a new installation folder. Then open the new installation folder directly and try to run Mudlet directly out of the new installation folder. If it fails, please do a screen shot of the installation folder that shows all file details in this folder.

PS: Does 1.0.3 *still* work on your computer? Wondering if some other application that you've installed in the meantime might be responsible for the problems.

Arundor

Post by Arundor »

Thanks for the continued assistance.

I've tried installing to a new directory with no luck. Here is the screenshot for version 1.0.5.1: http://magma.ca/~carl2/arundor/mudlet1051.png

This is actually the first time I've tried Mudlet, so I have not had any of the old versions installed in the past. I simply tried them after I had trouble getting the newest version to run.

I've also tried re-downloading each version to ensure I did not get a corrupted file, and installing each version to a seperate directory. Currently 1.0.3 and earlier still work, while 1.0.3b and later give the error.

I'm not sure if this is helpful for purposes of comparison, but here are screenshots of the 1.0.3 and 1.0.3b directories (where 1.0.3 runs and 1.0.3b does not):

1.0.3 http://magma.ca/~carl2/arundor/mudlet103.png
1.0.3b http://magma.ca/~carl2/arundor/mudlet103b.png

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

OK, we are getting closer to your problem. I've changed the Lua dll in between 1.0.3 and 1.0.3b.
I guess that you have some other lua dll installed on your system that gets in the way somehow and gets loaded instead of the supplied dll.
Do a system wide file search for lua51.dll and lua5.1.dll plz and post the content of your $PATH variable please.
You can also try to copy the lua51.dll into the directory where you've installed Mudlet-1.0.5.1 and report what happens.

Arundor

Post by Arundor »

Copying lua51.dll from the 1.0.3 install to the 1.0.5.1 install did the trick. Thanks for the help! :D

Mickelson

Post by Mickelson »

I'm still having this problem, not sure why. I'm trying to install it on my laptop now, I already have it on my desktop and it works fine. I tried to copy the lua51.dll, with no luck. I tried to completely uninstall everything and just go with 1.0.4 (the version on my desktop), and it still has the error. Does 1.0.5.1 modify anything outside its installation folder?

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

No, the installer doesn't install files anywhere else but into the installation folder. The window's registry isn't touched either, nor are your path variables etc..
What version of windows are you using exactly on your laptop? What is the content of your path environment variable?

Cooldown

Post by Cooldown »

I have this problem and tried looking for the dll files you listed, but the only ones on my computer are the two in the Mudlet directory. I'm running Windows XP 32-bit Service Pack 1 and I don't know how to find my path environment.