Making a universal profile for multiple characters?

Bigglesbee

Making a universal profile for multiple characters?

Post by Bigglesbee »

Heya, I'm trying to cut down on the tedium of having multiple characters on one MUD and having to update alias/triggers/variables whenever I make a change that would apply to multiple characters. So, for example: I have the same triggers to highlight specific spells wearing off, the same aliases for drinking potions, and the same variable names for weapons and bags (though the names contained within the variables are different, e.g. "sword" vs. "staff").
  1. I understand if I make a universal profile of sorts, export it as a module, then import it on every character profile and sync it, then if I add/change an alias/trigger/script in one character profile, it'll automatically update to all the others the next time I load the others?
  2. If I do the above, will the permanent variables sync across profiles? I actually wouldn't want them to, since for example, a warrior uses a different weapon than a mage, so while a my_weapon variable would share the same variable name (for ease with universal aliases/triggers), the actual info contained within would be different, for example, "sword" vs. "staff"
  3. If doing this sort of universal and automatically updating/syncing profile is possible locally via installing the module on each individual character profile, is there a layman-user (me!) way to sync these sorts of settings via the cloud?
  4. Is there anything else I should be aware of or am not realizing about this sort of thing?
Thanks in advance for whoever reads this!

Jor'Mox

Re: Making a universal profile for multiple characters?

Post by Jor'Mox »

So while I can't contribute to the module syncing part of this, I can say that as far as data storage and isolation goes, you could easily just have a table where you store all the relevant data at the end of each session, and retrieve it at the beginning of the session, using the character name as the table key. To use your example of my_weapon, it would look like this to retrieve it:
my_weapon = data["bob"].my_weapon
And this to store it:
data["bob"].my_weapon = my_weapon

Bigglesbee

Post by Bigglesbee »

I am very much a layman when it comes to coding and scripting and all that and that looks like an alien language to me! How would I create the table, or add to/edit values in it? Would this be like a script that runs whenever I open a character profile?

Basically, I just want to be able to, for example, add an alias to one character profile, then have it automatically update to another character profile.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

I didn't go into a lot of detail before because I had hoped that someone else would jump in to help, and that anyone who could help with syncing up multiple profiles in the way that you clearly want would easily be able to incorporate the idea that I mentioned without me spelling it out in the level of detail that you might need to make it work at your current skill level.

That said, it doesn't seem like anyone is doing that, and I still am not able to help with your original goal. But, it isn't like I can't help at all. The game that I used to play was setup where you had a master account that you logged into, and then picked the character you wished to play from there. So I had a setup sort of like what you are talking about, but all within a single profile. I'd connect, and then when I picked a character, it was through an alias, that would then set the character for everything to use, as well as potentially disabling particular aliases and triggers that a given character may not use. If that is something that you would be interested in, I can help you make that happen.