Mudlet freezing on Mac OS X with Mudlet mapper

Nemutaur

Mudlet freezing on Mac OS X with Mudlet mapper

Post by Nemutaur »

Hi there,

I recently started playing primarily on my macbook instead of my PC and I noticed some odd things regarding Mapper, Geyser and the 'beachball', which is the Mac OS X equivalent of the old hourglass cursor on Windows and the Show mapper on startup code provided in the Wiki I think:
local main = Geyser.Container:new({x=0,y=0,width="100%",height="100%",name="mapper container"})

local mapper = Geyser.Mapper:new({
name = "mapper",
x = "70%", y = "50%", -- edit here if you want to move it
width = "29%", height = "47%"
}, main)
This code causes Mudlet to freeze for a while in two or more instances, but I'll just highlight the three most important ones:

1) On startup after loading the profile, when I start to type into the input it will freeze for 8 or more seconds. After that it works fine. But every single startup it will do that freeze and show the beachball.

2) If I ever type too much into the input box that a new line is required it will freeze when trying to make a new line in the input box, and after 8 or so seconds it will wrap the line properly and let me continue. When hitting delete to empty the two or more line input from before, it will freeze again before showing me the empty input line.

3) Whenever I try to resize the window (which I don't do often) it will freeze for a while as well and show the beachball.

Now I've tested if it actually has something to do with the mapper and so far I've only found that I have this problem if the script that I posted above is actually there. So I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that. During these freezes nothing happens with mudlet at all, and I cannot actually see if the timer (S:0.005 usually) at the bottom right changes at all.

So maybe this happens because Geyser or the mapper is having trouble with resizing the interface and is making it freeze. Not sure why that could be, but is is pretty annoying.

Does anyone have any idea as to how I could fix this? Maybe a different script for showing the mapper on startup in its own little window at the bottom right?

Thanks a lot,
Nemutaur

chris

Re: Mudlet freezing on Mac OS X with Mudlet mapper

Post by chris »

The issue is the map is re-rendering itself. When you make a newline with a mapwindow at the bottom of the screen, the map window needs to be moved up. When you first connect, the map is rendering as well. Other than making the mapper faster, or having some work arounds there isn't much to be done.

chris

Re: Mudlet freezing on Mac OS X with Mudlet mapper

Post by chris »

The issue is the map is re-rendering itself. When you make a newline with a mapwindow at the bottom of the screen, the map window needs to be moved up. When you first connect, the map is rendering as well. Other than making the mapper faster, or having some work arounds there isn't much to be done.