MUD dev getting started

BigJMoney

MUD dev getting started

Post by BigJMoney »

I'm looking to use MUDlet as a custom client for my game. The first feature I want to work on is capturing the MUD's minimap.

Since I'm the MUD developer I'm in control of what information is sent to the client. My question is, which features/articles should I learn about in order to achieve this in the easiest way; or the way MUDlet wants to do it.

I have yet to implement this from the MUD side, so I'd like to take advantage of MUDlet from the get-go. Many thanks.

BigJMoney

Re: MUD dev getting started

Post by BigJMoney »

I should add that I did a forum search for MUDlet maps and mapping but what I turned up is information about the MUDlet mapper feature. I did find a screenshot where someone implemented what I'm talking about but did not see any information about the name of features or scripting methods/functions that were used to implement it.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

So, if I'm understanding you properly, your MUD has its OWN mini-map that it is sending to clients, and you want to use Mudlet to capture that mini-map and... do something with it?

Realistically, the simplest method for passing this information to the client would be via something like GMCP, so that there is no need to separate it from the background noise of all the other text on the screen (and obviously have an option to turn off the bit that shows up in the text, so that when they are using it from GMCP, they don't see double). Beyond that though, you then have to know what it is that you actually want to do with it. Do you want to just display it somewhere? That is pretty easy, and can be done with a label and a bit of text editing to make it have the appearance you want. Do you want it to be interacted with, like being able to click on rooms and go there or see some piece of information about them? In which case you will need a more complex setup (though still using labels), it just depends on your goals.

BigJMoney

Post by BigJMoney »

I just want to be able to display it, but I want it to be completely refreshed (or partially refreshed) when it receives new data. I.E. No scrolling log of what is received. Instead, the minimap is redrawn in the same location.

Thanks for telling me about labels, I'll look into them! The next part I need to look at is whatever controls the properties of the pane or window or whatever it is called where I want to send the minimap display to.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

If you just want it displayed in a given location in the main window, then all you need is a label in the desired location. You can also make dockable mini-windows of some sort, but I haven't messed with those (I like to keep everything in my main window, just outside the area where text is displayed). The key thing with labels is that they use HTML for formatting the text they display.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

The dockable widget (use openUserWindow("windowName")) has the same underlying code as the main profile "console" and a label could be displayed in that to display a mini-map - the main advantage is that for a multi-headed (more than one monitor) setup it could be floated to another screen. As for remembering the position of such things there is an enhancement in the pipeline Pull-request 996 that should sort out a long standing issue with that...!

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I agree on the GMCP data - while rendering the ASCII map in the minimap would be a nice feature, people would not be able to use Mudlets own mapper for displaying the rooms or use the pathfinding features in it from just a minimap.

GMCP is the standard for modern MUDs in this - happy to walk you through this, just keep asking any questions you've got ;)