Howto: Compile Mudlet on Ubuntu

Shota

Howto: Compile Mudlet on Ubuntu

Post by Shota »

UPDATE!!! - February 11th, 2011 (my birthday)
  • - Removed libqscintilla2-dev from build dependencies
  • - Removed unnecessary jokes from the 'final notes' section
  • - Removed more unnecessary packages from build dependencies
  • + Added instructions for installing and compiling from the QT SDK (required at this time!)
  • + Added sqlite & rex-pcre dependencies to resolve Lua linking issues encountered on connecting
  • + Added Forum links to relevant posts and extended information in the 'Final Notes'
  • + Added complete example path for Qmake
  • # Corrected links for the Qt SDK (using Qt download page instead of direct links)
  • # Fixed a number of typos and made some other aesthetic corrections
  • # Corrected for latest snapshot test
[/size]
======================================================================================
Instructions for compiling Mudlet (latest git snapshot) on Ubuntu 10.10.

• Mudlet Version: Mudlet-2.0-rc1-2
  • Snapshot: mudlet-HEAD-79a8905
  • Release information: here
[/size][/b]
Step #1 - Satisfy build dependencies

In a terminal, execute: sudo apt-get install build-essential qt4-dev-tools libqt4-opengl-dev lua5.1 liblua5.1-0-dev liblua5.1-rex-pcre-dev liblua5.1-sql-sqlite3-dev libpcre3-dev libboost1.40-dev zlib1g-dev libyajl-dev libzzip-dev

On top of these, you will need the qmake tool from the QT SDK. This can be found here (32-bit) or here (64-bit). Once downloaded (it's rather large, about 422 MB) you will need to chmod it to run as an executable and install it. In a terminal, navigate to the directory you saved the .bin to and execute:

(32-bit):
chmod u+x qt-sdk-linux-x86-opensource-2010.05.1.bin
./qt-sdk-linux-x86-opensource-2010.05.1.bin

(64-bit):
chmod u+x qt-sdk-linux-x86_64-opensource-2010.05.1.bin
./qt-sdk-linux-x86_64-opensource-2010.05.1.bin

Installing the SDK to your Home folder is perfectly fine. It will not interfere with or break your system QT libs. Note the exact path you select during installation, as you will need to call qmake from the SDK later.

Step #2 - Download the latest git snapshot

Found at: http://mudlet.git.sourceforge.net/git/g ... EAD;sf=tgz

Extract these files to a folder in your home directory or another directory of your choosing.

Step #3 - QMAKE

In a terminal, navigate to the folder containing your extracted mudlet snapshot and change into the /src/ directory. (for me: /home/joseph/mudlet/src/)

From here, execute: /path/to/qt-sdk/qt/bin/qmake
(for me: /home/joseph/qtsdk-2010.05/qt/bin/qmake)

Step #4 - MAKE

Still in the /src/ directory, execute: make

Step #5 - Run Mudlet

Still in the /src/ directory, execute: ./mudlet

============================================

Some final notes:
-I will be actively maintaining this guide.

-If you have trouble compiling and your computer is using an nVidia video card/driver, you may need to install the nvidia-current-dev as Vadi suggested. (sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-dev)

-According to the Forums (this post), recent changes in the Lua framework dictate that Mudlet must be launched from the /src/ directory.

-You want to upgrade to the newest releases of Mudlet. You will find many enjoyable, new features, as well as support the continued development of this wonderful client. It's worth the effort to compile it on your computer, and with this information laid out it is relatively easy to do.

-You can build Mudlet successfully without installing the Qt SDK and using the qmake found therein. When your installation breaks and you have random crashes, please see Step #1 about installing the QT SDK to resolve this.

-I will also track Ubuntu specific bugs in this thread, as well as their fixes. This isn't the ideal place to submit bugs or discuss them, but I'll do my best to organize relevant information in an easy to find and up-to-date manner.

** Any input on the format, layout, or content of this guide is welcome and appreciated **
Last edited by Shota on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nexa33

Re: Howto: Compile Mudlet on Ubuntu

Post by nexa33 »

Got the following error after step #3:

QMAKESPEC has not been set, so configuration cannot be deduced.
Error processing project file: /home/mike/mudlet-HEAD-1d5e15c/src/src.pro

EDIT: Fixed by just running command qmake instead of the path in front of the command and then running make

Shota

Post by Shota »

Thanks for posting that with the fix as well. No change needs to be made in the guide then, heh.

As per http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1775 if you run into problems while using ATI video cards (either with poor performance, mapper crashes, or X Window Server crashing while using Mudlet) you will want to make sure you are using the Linux open source drivers for the cards. (Only seems to be a problem in 10.10)

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Would you mind transferring this to wiki.mudlet.org?

Sanaki

Post by Sanaki »

You'll need to update the apt-get call for libboost. That one didn't grab it. Worked fine once I located the correct one and got it installed though.

Yetzederixx

Post by Yetzederixx »

This would be a great addition to the wiki and then use the forum thread for bug tracking/trouble shooting.

Mosr

Post by Mosr »

Sanaki wrote:You'll need to update the apt-get call for libboost. That one didn't grab it. Worked fine once I located the correct one and got it installed though.
Can you post the right call? I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

libboost1.42-dev in ubuntu 11.04. If a dependency can't be found, trying doing "apt-cache search libboost1" in this case, and it will search for the closest match.

redacted@hostname:~$ apt-cache search libboost1
libboost1.42-all-dev - Boost C++ Libraries development files (ALL)
libboost1.42-dbg - Boost C++ Libraries with debug symbols
libboost1.42-dev - Boost C++ Libraries development files
libboost1.42-doc - Boost.org libraries documentation

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

New dependency: libzzip-dev

Sanaki

Post by Sanaki »

Had to install liblua5.1-filesystem and liblua5.1-zip as well to get it to stop complaining about missing files on client start. Fair warning.