Howto: Sync profiles using dropbox

Lucky24

Re: Howto: Sync profiles using dropbox

Post by Lucky24 »

For windows, you can just use the free Windows Live Mesh to sync up to 5Gb of files.

Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

There's a tool called Dropbox Folder Sync for Windows that makes this super easy, without any need to use the command line. You can get the application at: Dropbox Folder Sync. You simply right click the mudlet folder in your .config folder, and there'll be an option to sync with dropbox.

It actually moves the mudlet folder to dropbox, then creates a symbolic link in the location it was at. If your mudlet files are already in dropbox, you can create an empty mudlet folder, tell it to sync, and respond yes when asked if you want to merge and overwrite.

Enjoy!

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I just helped someone with Vista and Win 7 set this up on their machines. Turns out you can use mklink /j to do this on both of those, creating a junction to the profiles folder in dropbox. And, as I posted above, there is that bit available for XP that works wonders!

kard

Post by kard »

Instructions for Syncing Dropbox on windows 7/8:

Move to %systemdrive%/Users/%username%/.config or wherever getMudletHomeDir() is set to(copy the address into a file explorer window address bar or do it manually )

Cut (folder needs to be moved not just copied) the folder and move it to the root of your Dropbox folder. I personally have Dropbox on the root of my c drive so that is how I will explain it.

Open a command prompt in administrator mode by searching for cmd in your start menu and right clicking on the application and clicking Run as administrator.

Then using the command "cd" navigate to the same folder that you just moved the mudlet directory from.

then use the command "mklink /D mudlet <path to your mudlet dir>

Make sure you get the path right. If it's not right the command will work but it won't be pointing at anything. After this is done your mudlet application will look at Dropbox's version of mudlet profiles when it opens. This will need to be done to every computer you want this to with the exception that any following computers you likely just want to delete the mudlet directory rather than overwrite the one in dropbox.
Last edited by kard on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

otg

Post by otg »

What am I doing wrong?

I have been using a Windows Vista machine as my main machine (yeah yeah, vista blah blah) and want to set up my old XP laptop to play on the move. I installed Mudlet to a dropbox folder on my XP machine, then copied everything from the Mudlet folder on my Vista machine to the XP machine, but it doesn't show my profiles, etc.

Have I missed a step somewhere?

hellotojoe

Post by hellotojoe »

I got this working as far as the backup goes, but now when I try to export, Mudlet locks up. I am using OSX10.7.5 and Mudlet version 2.0 test4. I can import no problem. I also thought maybe it was permissions, so I gave everyone full control of the folders Mudlet was in, but this didn't help.

otg

Post by otg »

I've finally sorted this and synced my Vista and Windows 8 machines. I'm using SkyDrive (Microsoft cloud drive) as it's included in Windows 8.

The mklink example above is incorrect, it transposes the name and folder. My command was:

Code: Select all

mklink /D Mudlet C:\Users\OTG\SkyDrive\Documents\Achaea\Mudlet

Nylian

Post by Nylian »

mklink /j C:\Users\nylian\.config C:\Users\nylian\Dropbox\Mudlet

This worked for me in windows 7

sephem

Post by sephem »

I am using Cubbyto do this as then you just select the folder you want to sync and tell it to sync.

There is no need for symlinks and such.

However it only support Mac and Windows.

azure_glass

Post by azure_glass »

That will be alrigt?

--------------------------------------------------------------
-- First computer
mv ~/.config/mudlet ~/Dropbox -- Exampe by Vadi
mv /home/xxx/.config/mudlet /home/xxx/Dropbox/SyncProfilesMudlet

ln -s ~/Dropbox/mudlet ~/.config/mudlet -- Exampe by Vadi
ln -s /home/xxx/Dropbox/SyncProfilesMudlet /home/xxx/.config/mudlet
-- Other linux computers
rm -rf ~/.config/mudlet -- Exampe by Vadi
rm -rf /home/xxx/.config/mudlet

ln -s ~/Dropbox/mudlet ~/.config/mudlet -- Exampe by Vadi
ln -s /home/yyy/Dropbox/SyncProfilesMudlet /home/xxx/.config/mudlet
English is not my native language. If you don't understand what im writing ask. :)
Ubuntu 17.04, Mudlet 3.1