Howto: Sync profiles using dropbox

demonnic

Howto: Sync profiles using dropbox

Post by demonnic »

I am going to start by saying that this is for Mac and Linux specifically... I have not yet figure out symlinking in Windows, but if someone knows how to do so please chime in and let us know. These instructions could of course also work with other file syncing services, but I do not recommend Ubuntu One for this... if you have two or more computers online and syncing with U1 they tend to create conflicts on files that change, so if you're saving variables to a file, the file could be marked as a conflict when you save it. If anyone knows a way around this as well, do let me know. It was the source of much consternation for me recently.

Anyhow... onwards and upwards:

Step the first.) Sign up for an online sync service. I'm quite fond of Dropbox myself (Clickety Click)

Step b.) From your terminal:

Code: Select all

mv ~/.config/mudlet ~/Dropbox
You can of course substitute whatever directory your file syncing service is monitoring for the one above... that is just the directory used by Dropbox by default in linux

Step tres.) Now, if you were to open Mudlet you'd be faced with only the default profiles... I recommend you don't open Mudlet just yet. It'd be disorienting and then you'd have to delete the mudlet profile directory. Instead, you should do this, still inside the terminal:

ln -s ~/Dropbox/mudlet ~/.config/mudlet
Step vier) On your other computers, you will now want to remove the mudlet profiles/config directory and symlink it back to the dropbox, similar to before but slightly different (you can skip the first step if mudlet is not installed on this computer yet, or you can move the mudlet directory to the dropbox as you did before, but be aware it will overwrite existent files.)

rm -rf ~/.config/mudlet
ln -s ~/Dropbox/mudlet ~/.config/mudlet
Step the last.) Profit

I hope some of you find this to be helpful, I know it saved me a fair bit of headache in keeping things in line between my home computer, work computer, and laptop.

tsuujin

Re: Howto: Sync profiles using dropbox

Post by tsuujin »

Excellent guide.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

I'm actually using this now, damned good idea.

Oneymus

Post by Oneymus »

Found this for Windows, though not sure if it's exactly what we're after. I haven't tested it, having only one machine.

Tichi

Post by Tichi »

On Windows Vista and Windows 7, you can use mklink from the command line. Doing mklink /J "link name" "path/to/target" should do the job. Remember to do this from the folder where you are making the link. I'm not sure if this works for Windows XP.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

Awesome, thank you for sharing this with us. I'll test in my XP VM later on tonight and report back

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Amazing guide... I had a few problems till I realied the dropbox folder on my desktop was an alias... Error ID10T (aka PEBKAC).

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

So, just got around to linking my XP into this too. Had to use a thing called 'junction' to do the same thing, since XP doesn't have mklink.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96768.aspx

Trilliana

Post by Trilliana »

This is awesome. This should be sticky'd or something :D

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Sure, done.