Ubuntu setup

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Ubuntu setup

Post by SlySven »

Belgarath wrote:Reviving a dead post! 8-)

I recently installed Ubuntu and I wanted to compile Mudlet, but I ran into to errors following the same wiki guidelines...
Well you may do better if you remove the 1.55 specificness from the boost libraries that get installed - I suspect you have a later version available...

Nyyrazzilyss

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

SlySven wrote:I recently discover that that is a side effect of use the Qt libraries at 5.0.2 version
I'd left off the ubuntu compile a few months ago and moved back to getting a bit more done in my package itself. I should probably look at setting up a dev environment again. While using 5.0.2 will match Travis for compiling, it doesn't help if there's known problems at runtime. Is there any issues with always using the most current version of the Qt library, or does that cause other problems? Is there a preferred version to be using/compiling against?

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

As it happens the MacOs build runs on a bleeding edge (homebrew recipe) Qt so we do check both ends of the Qt 5.x scale and I'm currently building with Linux 5.6.0 GCC myself (and I have 4.8.6, 5.0.2, 5.3.2(system version), 5.5.1 and 5.6.0(clang) available on my main Debian Old-Stable+back-ports GNU/Linux setup). If anyone has any good clean recipes for setting up a 64-bit Qt mingw-64 Windows build environment I ought to take a look at getting something for those rare occasions that I do go to that OS - though first I have to persuade it to successfully upgrade from Lose 7 to 10... *sigh*

Belgarath
Discord: macjabeth#7149

Post by Belgarath »

SlySven wrote:
Belgarath wrote:Reviving a dead post! 8-)

I recently installed Ubuntu and I wanted to compile Mudlet, but I ran into to errors following the same wiki guidelines...
Well you may do better if you remove the 1.55 specificness from the boost libraries that get installed - I suspect you have a later version available...
Did just that and unfortunately ran into another error during the compiling process (make -j 2). I end up getting this error:

gcc -c -m64 -pipe -O2 -w -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -DAPP_VERSION=\"3.0.0\" -DAPP_BUILD=\"-delta\" -DAPP_TARGET=\"mudlet\" -DLUA_DEFAULT_PATH=\"/usr/local/share/mudlet/lua\" -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_MULTIMEDIA_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_UITOOLS_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I../src -I. -isystem /usr/include/lua5.1 -I../src/irc/include -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5 -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtOpenGL -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtWidgets -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtMultimedia -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtGui -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtNetwork -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtUiTools -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtCore -I. -I. -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -o lua_yajl.o ../src/lua_yajl.c
../src/lua_yajl.c:1:29: fatal error: yajl/yajl_parse.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:2696: recipe for target 'lua_yajl.o' failed
make: *** [lua_yajl.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

So, it looks like the src/ folder is missing something. :(

Nyyrazzilyss

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

Belgarath wrote: Did just that and unfortunately ran into another error during the compiling process (make -j 2). I end up getting this error:
That particular error was the first error I ran into on my original post: To fix,

sudo apt-get install libyajl-dev

Belgarath
Discord: macjabeth#7149

Post by Belgarath »

Nyyrazzilyss wrote:
Belgarath wrote: Did just that and unfortunately ran into another error during the compiling process (make -j 2). I end up getting this error:
That particular error was the first error I ran into on my original post: To fix,

sudo apt-get install libyajl-dev
Cheers mate, it worked. :)

Nyyrazzilyss

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

Some (working!) instructions to build a linux dev environment in a vanilla 12.04 virtualbox

(Setup operating system)

Download and install virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org)

Download and extract a 32bit virtualbox image for Ubuntu 12.04 (virtualboxes.org/images/ubuntu)

Machine>Add>Browse to ubuntu_12.04

Ubuntu_12.04 > Settings > USB > Uncheck Enable USB Controller

Start virtualbox

Settings > System Settings > Keyboard > Layout Settings : Add English (US), and remove Italian keyboards

(Install development enviroment/Compile mudlet)

Open a terminal.

sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet.git
sudo apt-get install liblua5.1-sql-sqlite3-dev liblua5.1-filesystem0 liblua5.1-zip0 liblua5.1-rex-pcre-dev
cd Mudlet
CI/travis.linux.before_install.sh
CI/travis.linux.install.sh
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make -j 2

cd src
./mudlet

Next up: Get guest additions working properly. Use a known working package with the above compiled version of mudlet, and see how it manages. Ideally, i'd also like to be able to crosscompile to windows/mac from the same linux installation.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

*looks a little confused*
Nyyrazzilyss wrote:Some (working!) instructions to build a linux dev environment in a vanilla 12.04 virtualbox
Um, is that addressed to me? - I'm guessing not as I have a perfectly fine native GNU/Linux environment - it is the Qt + Mingw64 + Micro$oft Lose 7 (or 10 if I get that "free" upgrade in by July 2016) that is giving me (or would be if I let it) grief. ;)

Nyyrazzilyss

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

Potentially addressed to you ... It's what i'm setting up on, linux has way to many possible combinations of kernel distributions / package installations, I wanted to assemble a 'defined' environment that 'always works'. I chose ubuntu 12.04 because that's also what travis uses to compile = compile should be guaranteed, though with the run time problems I should probably pick a different distribution of linux. What's more an issue is while your compile setup might work just fine, what's a step by step recipe to duplicate it from an empty distribution?

Following the above steps do work to compile (except qmake won't link). After guest additions are installed, mudlet errors during runtime, then won't run at all after the computer is restarted.

Those are things I need to poke at to figure out. The question more directed to yourself however would be - If you wish to not use a windows machine, have you tried or considered crosscompiling? I've installed mingw-w64 to see if i'll be able to run a make through and build/link a windows binary successfully under linux.

If crosscompiling is successful, that might go a long way to moving to nightlies (!). I'm also hoping the process of building a successful crosscompile for windows will identify and fix the issue with no sound on Windows.

Shryptix

Post by Shryptix »

Sorry I didn't read through this whole thread, but if you are interested in switching to an arch based distro you can use the mudlet-git package from the AUR. It compiles fine on Manjaro and Antergos. It doesn't work right on Manjaro KDE for some reason, but XFCE/Mate/Cinnamon work fine.