Mudlet "handshake"

thesavvygk

Mudlet "handshake"

Post by thesavvygk »

Hello!

I'm currently looking at setting up a MU* based on the Rhost MUSH code, but also with plenty of MUD-like elements.

I'd like to use Mudlet as the primary client for the MU*,but, I would like to know if the client someone is connecting from is Mudlet. As such, I'm trying to develop a handshake protocol for the server.

My question here is: Is there a method in Mudlet that would facilitate this handshake well? (Maybe GMCP?) if not, what could be done to help get that functionality into Mudlet.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Mudlet "handshake"

Post by SlySven »

I'd suggest you check out Telnet suboption 24 (Terminal Type) RFC1091 in general, and you might like to consider Scandum's {Current developer of TinTin++ client and other things} Mud Terminal Type System and a discussion I, he and some others had on Mudbytes. Also I see that we do have something for the Mud Server Data Protocol that I think he also had a hand in - but the more I look at the code the less certain I am that everything is actually there despite that page saying "Mudlet - full client support" though I suspect that some of the infrastructure to tell the Mud Server our values for "CLIENT_NAME" and "CLIENT_VERSION" is buried in the included Lua support files that I don't generally work on - so I could easily be rong :roll: .

As it currently stands the present 3.0.0 previews (since "beta") will send out a constant "Mudlet 3.0.0-beta", "Mudlet 3.0.0-gamma" or "Mudlet 3.0.0-delta" respectively in response to Telnet TTYPE suboption negotiations, the 2.1 release does "Mudlet 3.0.0dev" (which seems a bit off) according to the digging I was able to do on Source Forge (I only have what I can find in the published source code there...!) - I do intend to put in support for MTTS if I am permitted to, but there are some details that elude me still about some of the bit-values used for that. :geek:

thesavvygk

Post by thesavvygk »

Thanks for the response!

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Oh, I found that the CMake project files were wrong (the "BUILD" variable was not correctly set) for the gamma and delta previews - so it is possible you may get Mudlet 3.0.0-beta replies from those later ones for Windows based Mudlet clients as CMake does tend to be used for that platform. It should be fixed for the next "epsilon" when we can nail down some more of the (still) outstanding issues.