Languages+

Link

Languages+

Post by Link »

I was looking through recent posts and noticed the Heiko had said he would not be adding any further support for other languages to Mudlet. I was wondering if there would be any change on this?

I personally would love to see Ruby added! I don't think there are any (free) mud clients out right now that actually support Ruby, so it would certainly bring more users!

Vadi

Re: Languages+

Post by Vadi »

The short answer is still no, I'm sorry :) We've got several reasons for not having more than one scripting language and that is we've learnt from mistakes in other MUD clients.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

Hi Link!

As Vadi said, support for another scripting language isn't likely to happen. But if you're really looking to use Ruby, then allow me to point you to an example of how I managed it in KMuddy (before Mudlet was started). Keith Hansen set up the original framework, the meta-programming was a bit beyond me at the time. I haven't used it in ages, but so far as I know Kmuddy has not changed significantly, and something similar should still be plausible.

Here's my fork of the github project: https://github.com/demonnic/rmuddy

That having been said, if you're unfamiliar with lua I think you should give it a try. I do still reach for ruby more often for my daily language, but lua is quite easy to pick up if you know ruby, executes more quickly (the interpreter is just plain faster. One of the prices you pay for ruby's ease of use) and it handles pretty much everything I've needed it to in my MUDding with ease.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

Not to mention, Mudlet really is a much slicker client...

Link

Post by Link »

Thank you for letting me know. I suppose it makes sense to keep Lua - I know it is a very excellent scripting language + easy to learn and use.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Link wrote:... I don't think there are any (free) mud clients out right now that actually support Ruby...
Actually the console (non-GUI) TinTin++ Mud Client supports scripting in a number of external languages including Ruby and Lua. However it IS a different way of doing things and if you are already used to Mudlet you'd want to way up the pros and cons of such a change in direction, I'm trying to keep a foot in both camps but it's been awhile since I actually played a MUD rather than messing around in the source code. :geek: