Debugging Ubuntu/Windows

Lucky24

Debugging Ubuntu/Windows

Post by Lucky24 »

After an hour or so of mudlet 2.0 test4 running my scripts on both windows and ubuntu 11, it will freeze and use 100% cpu. The command line output on ubuntu doesn't show anything useful - it just says "line 2: 9322 Terminated", without a consistent line number: I've seen 9297, 8757, etc. It only happens after all my scripts have been running for quite a while, so I'm guessing some sort of out-of-memory problem. I'm not manually trimming the scroll buffers, of which I have 4-5, but I remember Heiko saying that mudlet should automatically do that. It does seem to happen more quickly on my Ubuntu virtualbox, which has less memory available.

Is there any documentation for compiling a debugging version so I can at least get some info on what is happening before and/or causing the hang?

kevutian

Re: Debugging Ubuntu/Windows

Post by kevutian »

This is extremely likely a scripting issue rather than a Mudlet one. You likely have an infinite loop somewhere.

tsuujin

Re: Debugging Ubuntu/Windows

Post by tsuujin »

I'd run a search of all your scripts for the loop keywords ("for" and "while" generally) and make sure that each of them will actually terminate. It's pretty common to loop against an counting integer and forget to increment it on each pass, or to loop against a condition and not realize that condition will never be met.