Python for Mudlet

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: Python for Mudlet

Post by Heiko »

Aico wrote:if you're writing a Lua script, you can't access Python variables directly even if you wanted to.
You need to add an interface to offer inter interpreter variable access otherwise we'll get 5 zillion bug reports :) and it will be important for init scripts as python users are likely to use some Lua packages also.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

How will variable access be satisfactory without performance loss, and convulted scripts that confuse Mudlet starters even more than Lua is already horrifying them?

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

It should be enough to set up a couple of basic getter and setter functions such as getLuaVariable("foo") which simply returns the value of said variable from the Lua interpreter.

There is zero performance loss and no fear of "convoluted scripts".

It's not difficult to understand that both scripting lanuages have their own variables and that there are no *shared* client wide variables. You should have more confidence in the intellectual ability of our users - especially as this is an area of scripting where "horrified beginners" won't be playing anyways.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Well, I'll offer my full opinion towards the completion of this project, should it happen and it's future maintenance be looking bright.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

It just seems odd to me to start offering multiple scripting languages. Not that long ago when people asked for additional languages to be added they were given a harsh "no" for the explicit reason of performance and simplicity.

What I see happening down the line is the same issue MUSHclient had: no continuity between scripts because everyone has their own preferred language, and full support threads for each language full of confused users.

The benefit of using a single language is that for those users who cherry-pick scripts (most of the user base) they don't end up with confusing and hard to debug systems that are bloated with failsafe routines for variable interpretation.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Exactly.

Sheia

Post by Sheia »

As somewhat of a horrified beginner, I can see the benefits of adding Python or any other language to Mudlet, the more the merrier I suppose. I can't speak to the affects it may have on speed or efficiency. But I must say that the need for clear explicit documentation will rise even further. I agree Heiko that the intelligence of most Mudlet users is fine, its their lack of knowledge.

Mudlet is far and away better then any of the other Mud clients, but it lacks easily accessible documentation, which I think is slowing its popularity. We need a good manual, and an easy path to accessing it. The wiki can provide this but it is incomplete, rather hard to navigate and not being targeted at the inexperienced enough. I do realize all these things are done on a volunteer basis and I'm not asking for miracles. But this may further complicate something that does not first have a clear guide to it. Please take a moment to remember what it was like when you didn't know any of this stuff, or how to do any of it. Many users are in those shoes today, and they need some guidance before you potentially make the rabbit hole deeper. I for one will say that I'd be happy to work on any documentation for Mudlet, but I don't feel I'm qualified to do a lot of what is needed.

Omni

Post by Omni »

Pointing out any grammar/spelling errors on the wiki is helping. Also suggesting any possible pages.

Sheia

Post by Sheia »

I'd be happy to do that! The wiki is a huge improvement and make no mistake I'm certainly not putting it down or any ones work on it. I think its a great thing, thank you for your work. What it needs is more content and walkthroughs.

I may try and make a tutorial of some small script and put it up as an example of what I think is needed. Perhaps its time to change the manual link in Mudlet(the little yellow light bulb) to a link to the Wiki. A resources page on the Wiki, with links to things such as Regex Testers, Beginning Lua Info, manuals for Geyser and Vyzor, webpages on Stylesheets, the GMCP Specs, etc. These things can be found by googling or digging around, but putting them in one place is worth it I think. It could lead to a reduction in repeat questions, which would be cool, as well as new Mudlet users.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

There's certainly work to do, and help is certainly appreciated. Mostly what happens though is that people chirp about for a bit and dissapear, and this needs to be accounted for.