Developer Documentation

avidal

Developer Documentation

Post by avidal »

Is there any developer documentation available? I'd like to contribute to Mudlet development, but the source is a bit hard for me to follow (I'm not much of a C++ developer).

A few questions:
  • What's the flow from user input to the MUD?
  • What about in the opposite direction?
  • How are events/triggers dispatched and matched?
  • How is script reloading/editing handled?
  • What are the naming conventions? Files named T* would imply templates to me, but they seem to be classes in most cases
  • What's the overall process diagram/flow?
I poked through the source and didn't find it that easy to follow. I think with a proper set of developer documentation it'll be much easier to find contributors.

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: Developer Documentation

Post by Heiko »

I don't have enough time to write developer docs. However, if you want to make a notable contribution I'm willing to help you to some extend once I see that it's worth the effort. By the way, T = type.

Oneymus

Post by Oneymus »

Browsing through Sourceforge does reveal this file. It might answer some of your questions, though I'm unable to make much sense of it.

avidal

Post by avidal »

Oneymus wrote:Browsing through Sourceforge does reveal this file. It might answer some of your questions, though I'm unable to make much sense of it.
Yeah, I saw that as well. Heiko, does that graph still apply, at least in some sense of the word? It looks like it might have been designed before development really started.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

No, this was my initial planning. There have been various paradigm shifts in early stages of development that make this diagram useless today.

Darmir

Post by Darmir »

I too would like to help, but I don't see any documentation in the code. I am not proficient developer by any means, but I am a web designer/developer. I want to try my hand at C++. It has been years since I had a programming class and would like to try to help with mudlet.
If we could get a little instructions on setting it up and some doc would be great. I know that programmers HATE to document their code but to help us out it would be nice for some base docs. I would even be willing to document the code once I understand the notation being used and QT.

My suggestion is to clean up the forums and create a new thread for setting up your development environment and compiling. Another new thread for where to download the code, bug reports, etc...