Proposed lua API template/format

What format should we use on the wiki for lua functions definitions?

This one
100%
Another one [please post explaining why/what]
No votes
This one, but... [please explain what you'd change]
No votes
No, let chaos reign!
No votes

Total votes: 5

demonnic

Proposed lua API template/format

Post by demonnic »

I have formatted my user page on the wiki with what I believe will serve as a good format template for moving the lua function documentation into the wiki.

A mockup is HERE

And to see it in use, I went ahead and did some functions using it. If it's decided we shouldn't use it, then I can change it, but examples always show best.

You can see it HERE

I plan to devote at least a little bit of time each day to working on getting the lua API into the wiki, as well as other helpful snippets/pieces of the manual. However, it would be good if we got a consistent look and feel to it.

I'm something of a wiki newb, so I don't know if a 'template' is a real thing, or if you just make a page for people to reference for formatting, or what...

Omni

Re: Proposed lua API template/format

Post by Omni »

demonnic wrote:I have formatted my user page on the wiki with what I believe will serve as a good format template for moving the lua function documentation into the wiki.

A mockup is HERE

And to see it in use, I went ahead and did some functions using it. If it's decided we shouldn't use it, then I can change it, but examples always show best.

You can see it HERE

I plan to devote at least a little bit of time each day to working on getting the lua API into the wiki, as well as other helpful snippets/pieces of the manual. However, it would be good if we got a consistent look and feel to it.

I'm something of a wiki newb, so I don't know if a 'template' is a real thing, or if you just make a page for people to reference for formatting, or what...
Looks good, cleaner than how I had it.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I like it. Though calling Usage 'Examples' might be a more friendlier.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

I agree, and have changed it. I think I only used "Usage" because it was that way in a few of the other definitions.

Omni

Post by Omni »

demonnic wrote:I agree, and have changed it. I think I only used "Usage" because it was that way in a few of the other definitions.
My fault, I just ripped the function listings from the lua docs and just formatted things to the best of my ability knowing barely anything about wiki editing.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

No need for fault, it was more than I had done :-)

I spent a good two hours just fiddling with stuff. I'm hoping Oneymus will chime in, as. Seem to recall he was quite proficient with wiki markup, and the whole wiki process.

Oneymus

Post by Oneymus »

I don't know if I'd say I was proficient. I just spent countless hours, over many days, trying to get Polaris's internal Wiki to some semblance of usability. =\

All the same, I'll poke around MediaWiki and such and see if anything comes to mind.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

Much appreciated. This is my first wiki undertaking, and it just feel kind of massive.