Package system, final details discussion

Vadi

Package system, final details discussion

Post by Vadi »

What is this
The package system will be an improvement and an eventual replacement to the current way of importing/exporting xmls. It will be a system that manages Mudlet objects - aliases, triggers, timers, scripts, keybindings, buttons. It will not mess with the Lua part of scripts or enforce namespaces in Lua scripts. Instead, a package will define the items it's interested in via a Lua table (a graphical interface will be provided to manage this in future updates) and Mudlet will provide the interface to install a package, upgrade (remove+import objects), downgrade (install a package of an earlier version), uninstall a package (remove objects) and completely uninstall a package (remove objects + raise event handlers for a script to delete its persistent on-disk data). In essence, a package will consist of metadata and current Mudlet settings.

Packages will have the ".mp" (mudlet package) extension (MIME content type: application/mudletpackage). I suggest that they be zipped by default to save space, or at least support zipping.

Packages will allow external resources to be bundled with them, in which case .mp will be a zipped up folder with the main package xml as packagename.xml and all of the resources inside the folder, with a directory structure if necessary (so you can have images/game/pic.png). Upon installation, all resources will be unpackaged in getMudletHomeDir()/packagename/.

Note: Mudlet by design allows duplicate item names, and the API works on all matching items. The same will be with the package system - ie., if you have two trigger folders named "my stuff", both of them will be included in the package.

Management
We'll most likely come up with an another tab, Packages, right after Scripts to deal with package management. More on this mockup later.

Versioning
A simple versioning algorithm will be available in Mudlet that will be able to warn the user if the package they are installing is an older version of what they have already / check for updates from some online repository. Packages will be able to define their own function for versioning if they'd like more advanced checking.

Storage
Packages, by design, thus will be 'stored' embedded in a users profile xml, just like triggers and etc. currently are - package data will be stored as a separate <PackagePackage> entry that will detail the package name, version as a string (default is 1 and by default will be auto-incremented by Mudlet), date of creation, author, website (optional) along with what trigger, aliases, etc. groups are 'included' in the package.

Installing
The same current 'import' button will import a package.

If there are any external resources included with the package, they will be unpacked in getMudletHomeDir()/packagename/, preserving their directory structure.

Upgrading
If the package has a name that is the same as of a package installed already, the previous package will be uninstalled simply and the new package will be installed.

If there are any external resources included with the package, previous resources will be wiped. New ones will be unpacked in getMudletHomeDir()/packagename/, preserving their directory structure.

Downgrading
Same as upgrading, but will visually warn the user of the downgrade, and should they proceed, uninstall the current package and install the new older version.

Downgrades are mentioned explicitly because they should be well-supported - scripts arguably undergo less testing than program releases, and messups can happen often. It's best not to frustrate the user more by making downgrading complicated - it should be a smooth process.

Uninstalling
All groups that the package claims belong to it will be deleted, and the package meta-information will be deleted. Persistent data saved on the disk by Lua scripts will be left intact, however. Lua objects (variables/functions) will stay in the user's session until the profile is restarted.

Before deleting scripts, a sysPackageUninstall <packagename> event will be raised such that the package can delete its temp* things, if there are any.

If there are any external resources included with the package, they will be preserved on-disk.

Completely uninstalling
Same as uninstalling, except a sysPackageCompleteUninstall <packagename> will be raised, giving the script a chance to delete the persistent data it saved on disk.

If there are any external resources included with the package, they will be erased from the disk, and the getMudletHomeDir()/packagename/ folder will be wiped.

Creating a package
Script-based method:
Code: [show] | [select all] lua
true/false = buildPackage({
	name = "package name",
	author = "optional author",
	date = "optional date, or filled in by Mudlet",
	version = "optional version, or autoincremented by Mudlet",
	triggers = {"Trig class one", "Another trig class/I want in my package/Which has a path"},
    aliases = {"The alias class with the aliases I need in the package"},
    scripts = {"The scripts are in this script class"},
    keys = {...},
    buttons = {...},
    resources = {"/home/vadi/Desktop/first folder to include recursively/", "/home/vadi/Desktop/second folder to include recursively/"}
    savepath = "location where to save the resulting package",
    customversining = "optional versioning function, name of it as a string"
})
Package metadata will be also stored in the mudlet.packages table.

Appendix
Versioning algorithm
The versioning algorithm will distinguish between simple numeric releases - 1,2,3,... and dot-separated releases - 0,1, 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, etc...

It is possible that we'll expand it to better checking in the future.

Custom versioning function
If you'd like to use your own version comparison function, you can provide it's location as a string in the package metadata. The function will be given the current package version and the new package version to compare - it'll return true if it's newer, false if it's older, or nil if it couldn't decide (which will be the same as true).

For future releases:
- a way to view triggers/aliases/etc by package only
- a UI way to create the package contents and build it

A big thank you to all contributors to the discussion so far who suggested many excellent ideas for this base!

This post will kept updated to the current decided-upon state of the system as suggestions come.
Last edited by Vadi on Fri May 13, 2011 4:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added external resources

Vadi

Re: Package system, final details discussion

Post by Vadi »

Please submit your comments on this asap; we'd like to have it working in the 2.0 release.

Omni

Post by Omni »

Seems good. Would there be somewhere provided to host packages? Would it be possible to include external files with the packages?
Just two questions that come to mind right now, might have more later after I give it more thought.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

We'd probably like to organize the Mudlet wiki as a place for package downloads.

Externals files are a great point that I forgot about. I think it'd be good to allow 'resource' files that'll be packed into the package file and then unpacked in users profile folder/packagename/

Omni

Post by Omni »

Would also be nice to have a list of installed packages, along with some info, and possibly a description set by the creator. Maybe one or two sentences.

Sanaki

Post by Sanaki »

If you included a package management screen like Omni mentioned, could also include an option to check for updates on all of them (assuming they list a source to update from).

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Hey, this all sounds awesome. Particularly the idea of including resource files into packages. That sounds great.

zagzagal

Post by zagzagal »

While I'm still getting used to mudlet and scripting for it, one thing I would think may be useful is some form of dependency. This with a packaging system might be able to make possible more universal scripts with a second package for mud specific triggers. If I misunderstood the (possible) relationships between scripts and trigger groups, please feel free to ignore.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

If not full on dependency management, I think at least a rudimentary dependency check could be awfully handy. Include a dependancy property which contains a list of packages and minimum versions required for this plugin to install successfully, otherwise display what plugins are missing (with relevant minimum version).

Full on dependeny management would be awfully nice (goes to url specified in dependancy property to look for valid version of the dependency and downloads it, then presents it for installation and so on perhaps....) but that could end up being quite the project.

zagzagal

Post by zagzagal »

I was actually thinking more rudimentary, just see if a given package was with in a set of versions. Say version .2 to 1.4 but not 1.32 and then throwing a flag to let the person know there might be a problem. I agree a full apt-get style could be too much work.
Though the possibility of meta-packages with all dependancies included in a single install might not be a bad idea. Still giving the ability to give credit to everyone. It would also ease installation of mud specific sets. Another bonus to that is the later upgrading or downgrading of specific components individually with out having to do a full reinstall of all packages.