Lua scripting of Qt

Oneymus

Lua scripting of Qt

Post by Oneymus »

What are the chances of expanding Lua-side scripting of QtGui elements?

Having done some research, I've found packages like lqt and QtLua, both of which, while being different in implementation, allow Lua access to Qt's API.

While it wouldn't be necessary (though, perhaps, easier) to implement either of those packages, it would be nice to see an expansion of GUI options as a whole in Mudlet. And, given that our labels, buttons, and miniConsoles are wrappers around QLabels themselves, it seems easiest to expand access to Qt. At the very least, it would be nice to embrace the CSS-esque inheritance of Qt's Style Sheets, with the main window space considered the "Application", and child elements therein inheriting Style rules.

Having spent a great deal of time working with the GUI options in Mudlet, and having completed (insofar as anything of this nature could be completed) a framework of my own, I am familiar with Mudlet's GUI limitations. After further testing (sparked by KaViR's GUI work), I've found using StyleSheets on Mudlet labels to be the superior method of customizing GUI elements.

With the recent conversations about more comprehensive GUI solutions with the MuD community, I think this would be an excellent time to enhance and expand Mudlet's capabilities.

Vadi

Re: Lua scripting of Qt

Post by Vadi »

Chances of a quality patch getting accepted that adds this? High. But the mapper is scheduled for 2.0 and accessibility for 3.0, so this won't come on heiko's dev list soon.

I'm in agreement with this, having thought about this before. While I don't see a lot of needed for creating additional dialogs outside of what Mudlet offers, being able to mess with Qt Quick (what superseces QLabels, sort of) and other fancy animation stuff would be nice.

Vadi

Re: Lua scripting of Qt

Post by Vadi »

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/42 ... -with-gimp yeah, it definitely would be good to have this.