MSP

Sakura

MSP

Post by Sakura »

One feature that I would definitely like to see supported is the MSP (MUD Sound Protocol). It definitely helps with game play immersion, as well as gives MUDs an extra bit of life, instead of just a lot of text. Will this feature be supported?

scripter99

Re: MSP

Post by scripter99 »

This is a feature that is really easy to implement. However, I don't know of any major MUD that makes use of this feature. Which MUDs make use of MSP?

Kuei

Post by Kuei »

Mudmaster 2k6 uses MSP. Although I use many .WAV sound files while mudding, I rarely use MSP. Sound is very useful in large melees, when the action happens faster than I can read it.

Sakura

Post by Sakura »

All SWR MUDs make use of MSP as well.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Kuei wrote:Although I use many .WAV sound files while mudding, I rarely use MSP. Sound is very useful in large melees, when the action happens faster than I can read it.
Playing sound files from triggers, aliases etc. will be supported soon. This feature can be implemented quickly and has been requested by several people already. Time frame: couple of days.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Sakura wrote:All SWR MUDs make use of MSP as well.
What are "SWR MUDs", and to what extend and in what ways are they using MSP?

Sakura

Post by Sakura »

SWR MUDs are Star Wars Reality MUDs.

The difference between playing soundfiles via triggers/aliases, and MSP is that MSP suppresses the text on a line that starts with !!SOUND(shortname), and can also download sound files from an MSP repository if they are not currently present.

For example !!SOUND(blaster) would check to see if the sound file blaster.wav is present. If it's not it checks for blaster.mp3. There's also !!MUSIC(*).

However, MSP also accepts variable arguments in its calls. For example, !!SOUND(blaster v=32) would be blaster.* at 32% volume.

For a comprehensive specification see this:
http://lpc.pages.de/doc/other/msp.htm

Sakura

Post by Sakura »

When I say it strips out the text on a line starting with !!SOUND(fname) I mean it removes simply that.

So if it's:

Code: Select all

!!SOUND(helpknow)This text here
Then all the player will see is:

Code: Select all

This text here
But the sound helpknow.wav or helpknow.mp3 will play in the background. I'm not sure if any MUD clients actually do check for mp3 versions, but I think it would be a good idea since mp3s have better quality and compression.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Can you post a link to a such a MUD server plz?

Sakura

Post by Sakura »

telnet://fotr.mudmagic.com:8888