No votes
my option isn't listed
No votes

Total votes: 27

Vadi

Interest in a Mudlet wiki [now available!]

Post by Vadi »

Vote please! Poll runs for two weeks.

Edit: It's up! Go wiki.mudlet.org. Let's make it awesome, and... useful!

Rakon

Re: Interest in a Mudlet wiki

Post by Rakon »

How about a better/more updated/easier to navigate/use Mudlet Manual wiki system?
I'd vote for that to be implemented.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Sure. Feel free to link to an off-the-shelf free solution.

Lilija

Post by Lilija »

I do rather like the Wiki/Manual combined idea. Strikes me as a good thing. I'm an utter noob when it comes to coding and such, but I could at least help with grammar, spell checking and the like, so I guess that kind of counts as contributing.

KaVir

Post by KaVir »

I've used wikis before, and wouldn't find it any hassle to update it whenever I discovered some new trick or hidden feature - it only takes a moment to make a quick edit.

It'd also be a great place for people to include mud-specific scripts and GUIs (with screenshots), particularly if more muds start adding their own official scripts. It would be a nice promotion for the individual muds, but would also serve as an impressive showcase for the capabilies of Mudlet - and it could all be linked back to instructions for creating your own GUIs.

I don't think larnen will be the last person to ask about "Look and Feel". This seems to be the direction more and more muds are moving, and IMO anything that helps promote Mudlet as a next-generation client can only be good for its image and popularity.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Fair enough. Are there any recommendations for nice-looking, modern wiki software besides MediaWiki?

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

I've always justed used MediaWiki honestly, though I know there are a ton of options out there.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Before we try the wiki, let's see if a more open access to the dev editing of the Mudlet manual will work better.

Download Gobby 0.4 (not 0.5!) and connect to mudlet.org (default port). Password is mud1et (copy/paste it), and edit away. Your changes will appear on mudlet.org/asciidoc/manual.html within a few minutes - just refresh the page. One thing to remember Gobby 0.4 does not support undo/redo. This means no ctrl+z.

Looking for...
- more practical examples to functions! (see recently added mapping API's and downloadFile function)
- more newbie-friendly explanations! a good majority of Mudlets users can't script, so when they need to accomplish something - it'll be good if they can comprehend the manual
- more practical examples on 'how to do stuff', ala 'how to highlight my current target'. For example

Thanks for any help!

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Oh, and you open 'manual.txt' file. Not Redesign.

Omni

Post by Omni »

Vadi wrote:Oh, and you open 'manual.txt' file. Not Redesign.
Oops, that was me trying something out to reorganize how the functions are listed, without messing up the main manual.