Issues with new rc1!

tsuujin

Issues with new rc1!

Post by tsuujin »

Ok, so I'm having a problem here, and it's not an easy one to solve.

Today I was playing my favorite mud, with no problems, directly before making a migration from kubutu (which had been giving me irritating problems) to the latest Ubuntu (where I just figured I'd learn to live with GNOME). I migrate over, everything seems fantastic.

Then it was time to get Mudlet up and working again. So I download all of the libraries needed, install git, the QT SDK and so forth, pull the most recent mudlet from git, and open up the Qt Creator (my preferred way of compiling the program). After a successful compile, I open Mudlet to some very strange problems.

Note here, that before migrating to Ubuntu I bothered to save my /.config/mudlet folder entirely and after compiling and installing mudlet I copied over the existing folder created on first run. This successfully brought me, on second run, right into my profile where my entire system was waiting happily for me... except that nothing seemed to work.

I traced it down to this: key functions from luaGlobal did not seem to be there. the rex patterns I was using failed to compile because rex was never called. doing a basic call to display("test") failed because the global "display" could not be found. As far as I can tell, luaGlobal has simply never loaded.

Thinking I may have botched this by overwriting the config folder somehow, I scratched that, cleaned and recompiled, ran clean, and made a single alias on a new profile that called: display("test") and was promptly greeted with an error that the global display did not exist.

So... what gives? Can anyone think of a reason luaGlobal wouldn't be loading properly?

tsuujin

Re: Issues with new rc1!

Post by tsuujin »

Ah, here we go, some more information. Running the program from inside QT Creator gives me the following debug lines:
ERROR: gmcp not defined -> error in LuaGlobal.lua

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Ok, have an idea of why this might be. Seems that QT Creator wanted to put all the binary stuff in a separate folder: src-build-desktop which didnt' have a copy of luaGlobal. Now to find out why...

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

... because QT Creator is stupid? I don't know. I just switched the build directory back to regular old /src. I imagine this will fix the problem entirely.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Mudlets running ways are a tad peculiar and non-standard. If you can, install the linux generic installer, and script builds to move the src/mudlet into installed path/bin, and use run-mudlet.sh from there. It's what I do at least.

edit: yay gnome convert. (is a gnome friend. don't remember why anymore, but I'm pretty sure I'd be a ubuntu one too if they offered it.)

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Vadi wrote:Mudlets running ways are a tad peculiar and non-standard. If you can, install the linux generic installer, and script builds to move the src/mudlet into installed path/bin, and use run-mudlet.sh from there. It's what I do at least.

edit: yay gnome convert. (is a gnome friend. don't remember why anymore, but I'm pretty sure I'd be a ubuntu one too if they offered it.)
I wouldn't quite call myself a Gnome convert, more a working person who doesn't have time to properly configure an awesome Gentoo build, who readily admits that Kubuntu is a terrible fork, and that trying to install KDE4 over standard Ubuntu is like smashing your face in with a brick for no reason.

openSUSE was way too rigid and I didn't like how they set things up, and caused me way too many problems over all. Fedora is a bleeding edge joke, and most of the rest aren't worth the time they take to configure.

Anyways, I got it working. Now I need to know how to get it to run (or rather, how I got it to run last time) from a desktop file. This seems to cause problems by using the desktop as the active directory.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

I wouldn't use QtCreator to compile Mudlet but use the terminal instead.

Since 1.2.0 Mudlet must be run from the src directory, otherwise Mudlet cannot find the mudlet-lua modules which have been restructured and improved considerably by Lex & Babelfish.
To really install Mudlet on a UNIX system, you'll need to change the default path name from ./ to /usr/share/mudlet and copy the folder mudlet-lua there.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

I've never had mudlet successfully compile by running make, and I all QT Creator is doing is running qmake for me and giving me full debugging diagnostics.

Anyways, running it from the source directory is fine, I just wish I remember how I was able to do so using a desktop file before. I forgot to transfer the damned thing. Something to do with a bash script setting the active directory to the source directory.

Rakon

Post by Rakon »

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

cd ~/mudlet/src

./mudlet &

??

csmall

Post by csmall »

For the Debian package I've patched the source and luaGlobal file so that they are found in /usr/share/games/mudlet/lua

This way you can run the program anywhere. The source change just points to the new location using an absolute path. The problem is I couldn't find a reliable way of locating where the script runs from, so it couldn't load the other files using a relative path. The arg[1] trick works fine if you test lua on the command line but isn't set in mudlet.

If someone knows how to find the current working directory the script is in (not the program that called it) I'd be interested to know.