Mudlet Discord integration (GameBridge)

Vadi

Mudlet Discord integration (GameBridge)

Post by Vadi »

https://discordapp.com/gamebridge would be interesting if we added this in. Getting on Skype while raiding is nothing new, this would make it easier at least and allow MUD admins some new possibilities too.

Not sure if it's Windows only though, they talk about DLLs.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Mudlet Discord integration (GameBridge)

Post by SlySven »

Humm, as I see it there are two separate uses for this in Mudlet:
  1. Mudlet help/support - along the lines of the current built in IRC client that connects to a specific channel {I cannot recall, can users then select other channels, perhaps for MUD/Guild or Clan communications}
  2. MUD Server (possibly for a specific Guild/Clan)
The first would either be run by say http://www.mudlet.org (if that is how a Discord server) is setup or on Discords own systems and be open to either everyone or just those using the Mudlet client {though as an open source client I doubt we could/should impose such a restriction.}

The second though may need/require/benefit from a higher degree of integration with MUDs that offer "Official" support for "Discord" in that they provide a URL or whatever that allows authenticated users in - if the user wants Mudlet to provide the interface (rather than an external client or possibly a web-browser plug-in if that is an option) then we will definetely want to incorporate something in Mudlet - it is not clear yet though what that something is. A Windows DLL is not something that a Linux/MacOS application can make use of and as Vadim says it is not obvious what F.O.S.S. libraries/API is available to be integrated. I mentioned a Lua one which might be useful but I am not seeing a C++ library...

Further research on Wikipedia notes that it is proprietary software but that seems to be the "Server" part and it uses a publicly documented API and we might be able to build a JSON like system to interface with via web-hooks(?) :?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I think Discord runs all the infrastructure for us. By a "server", they just mean a room.

Haven't thought about much integration with the MUD, but if we just stick Discord into Mudlet like IRC, then just like people have out-of-band text communcation - they'll have the same for voice. Saves people opening up Skype...

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

I still hold fond desires to get MMCP into Mudlet - and that, being peer-to-peer, avoids having to sign-up to some central server who tracks/monitors/controls the process using their Laws/Legislation to override those that would apply in your neck of the woods, e.g. failing in International Safe Harbour Privacy Principles.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I don't think MMCP is going to give us voice audio and P2P has plenty of issues with firewalls and so on. This will of course be optional and not mandatory for anyone to use.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I've gotten the GameKit integration working, which shows the status and etc: https://github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet/pull/1716