Idea: Command line navigation

MasterDesian

Idea: Command line navigation

Post by MasterDesian »

When copy/pasting text into the command line, it can be extremely hard to maneuver around the command line to edit the text. For instance, when copying a word wrapped paragraph into a command, it all has to be one line if you wish to say the entire thing in the MUD. Using the up and down arrows will not allow you to navigate through the individual lines, but rather the down arrow will immediately bring you to the end of the last line. Thus, I give my fiery protest (idea). Code in command line maneuvering to make it easier to navigate through multiple lines in the command line.

Secondly, getting rid of already written text in the command line could be made a heck of a lot easier by simply allowing the user to press the down arrow when the marker is at the end of the entered text in the command box.

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: Idea: Command line navigation

Post by Heiko »

1. There is command line navigation already:
shift + return -> insert new line (=multi line text)
control + cursor up/down -> navigate in a multi line text
control + return -> closes split screen

2. Do you want to clear the command line if the cursor is at the end of the command line text when nothing is highlighted?

Glass

Post by Glass »

Well holy crap, I wish I'd known that.

Knute

Post by Knute »

Also, if your text spans multiple lines in the command box, you can use <Home> and <End> to go to the beginning of the line or the end of the line respectively.

Though, with having the linewrap in IRE muds set to zero and mudlet wrapping at 80 characters, there are still new line characters when you copy text. I think that may be what he was trying to communicate. I, personally, find that slightly annoying, but have learned to live with it.

MasterDesian

Post by MasterDesian »

@heiko

I...did not know that about the navigation, nifty. As for the second part, I guess I could explain by example.

Say you're typing out a big line of text explaining something to a novice and someone comes in and attacks you. You want to erase all that chatty chat and get right into the fray without having to enter your incomplete text. Is there already a way to delete all of this at once? If not, then yes, implement it so you can press down when the cursor is at the end of the text and it will go back to a blank command line.

Also, is there a key binding in which to automatically kill the splitscreen without pagedowning all the way?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

ctrl+enter kills splitscreen

ctrl+a, ctrl+c, start typing. although ctrl+down to save what you've typed so far into the history buffer / auto-save into buffer after 5s if you have more than 20 chars has been requested as well