ATCP/GMCP

Vadi

ATCP/GMCP

Post by Vadi »

As mentioned in the mapper thread, IRE will be scrapping ATCP and migrating to GMCP. It turns out the changes are coming much sooner; GMCP is already implemented, and today they removed (what apparently was optional) Auth.Request from Imperian. Since Mudlet relied on this to send the hello sequence (while apparently it should have been sending it right after ATCP is negotiated), it broke there. So a fix for this should be:
case TN_WILL:
393 {
394 //server wants to enable some option (or he sends a timing-mark)...
395 option = command[2];
396 if( option == static_cast<char>(200) ) // ATCP support
397 {
398 cout << "ATCP enabled" << endl;
399 enableATCP = true;
400 sendTelnetOption( TN_DO, 200 );
<send hello here>
401 break;
or well, GMCP support since with these developments, ATCP might be dropped at any moment now :roll: .

I asked them to revert the change for now, since the change is quite unexpected, they seemed to agree and hopefully it'll be done soon until Heiko can make an update.
402 }

Vadi

Re: ATCP/GMCP

Post by Vadi »

Update: "okay, the mudlet hack is in, let me know when you guys have a fixed version out so I can remove it"

Patek

Post by Patek »

Is it known how GMCP will present itself? Will the changeover be transparent to the end user, IE, will we still get Char.Vitals, Room.Exits, etc?

I rely on the Room-based ATCP info for mapping and pathfinding, so hoping it'll be similar, at least.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Patek wrote:Is it known how GMCP will present itself? Will the changeover be transparent to the end user, IE, will we still get Char.Vitals, Room.Exits, etc?

I rely on the Room-based ATCP info for mapping and pathfinding, so hoping it'll be similar, at least.
Iron Realms put out a statement not that long ago that they were updateing ATCP in order to be more informative. Basically they realize they need to compete with the ease of information that the graphical MMOs give, and make the game friendlier to new people, so they want to enhance the background information for programmers to use.

I imagine the new system will be very similar, but contain a lot more possible information. Maybe even be configurable.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Yeah, I know about that statement and been involved in the (crappy) GMCP development. That's not related to this aspect of ATCP being changed though, and that's why they've reverted it for now.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Patek wrote:Is it known how GMCP will present itself? Will the changeover be transparent to the end user, IE, will we still get Char.Vitals, Room.Exits, etc?

Haven't had a change to see the module names they've using now. Probably the same though.

KaVir

Post by KaVir »

Will Mudlet continue to support ATCP alongside GMCP, or will the former be phased out?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Don't see the need to remove it. Avalon DE uses it as well (but if they switch, wouldn't hurt to keep it about)

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Achaea and Lusternia have been upgraded to support GMCP now.

Also see: http://www.ironrealms.com/gmcp-doc

Knute

Post by Knute »

Ok, so do we have to set up mudlet to send the GMCP Char.Login info?

If so, how do we do that? I just tried logging into one of my characters in Lusternia, and couldn't. I even went so far as to remove the autologin info, and it still disconnected saying "incorrect password" even when there wasn't anything in the box, nor did I have time to even enter my Character name.

How do we access/use this information? Is it something similar to the ATCP stuff or what?

[edit] Sorry. Looks like it's just something with that character, but the question still stands as to how we impliment this information? Will it just be variables that are available or what?[/edit]
Last edited by Knute on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.