Mudlet Mapper

Wyd

Re: Mudlet Mapper

Post by Wyd »

tsuujin wrote:
Wyd wrote:Another feature I'd like would be room notes

Basically, by placing your mouse over a room, it would show a small window with whatever "notes" the room had

These notes could be easily cleared/rewritten to, but would allow you to keep track of information about rooms (Which would be saved, so they're viewable next time the mapper is started up).

This could also be extended to display things like items/denizens that can often be found in the room, the room name and description and so on, with a way of toggling what is shown on and off
Sounds better as a "single-click" function than a mouse-over. Drawing your mouse over the map to get to a certain room would be too processor intensive were it to try and load windows with all that information for each room you pass over.

I'd envision it as a certain section of the mapper viewport being designated the "current room info" section, and clicking on a room would show you that information about it. Double clicking would move you to the room.
Yeah, that sounds good

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I think it would be beneficial to also allow the user to have a grid shown at the first level so you can tell at which angle you've turned the map at... like the blue one here: http://zockertown.de/s9y/uploads/games/celetania-4.png except that it goes out from the first level.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Having used the mapper for a while now, my main comment is on exit display.

As it is at the moment, I'm having a really hard transitioning away from the ASCII map because mudlet's mapper makes it very hard to tell when there is an in, out, up or down exit. I'm trying to think of a way to display this better, but I thought I'd throw the comment out anyways to open it up for others to brainstorm.

naftali

Post by naftali »

tsuujin wrote:Having used the mapper for a while now, my main comment is on exit display.

As it is at the moment, I'm having a really hard transitioning away from the ASCII map because mudlet's mapper makes it very hard to tell when there is an in, out, up or down exit. I'm trying to think of a way to display this better, but I thought I'd throw the comment out anyways to open it up for others to brainstorm.
Perhaps displaying a mini compass around each room paralel with the "ground" level could help identify up or down exits? And by compass I mean a circle with tic marks of varying sizes at N, NNE, NE, ENE, etc.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

naftali wrote:
tsuujin wrote:Having used the mapper for a while now, my main comment is on exit display.

Perhaps displaying a mini compass around each room paralel with the "ground" level could help identify up or down exits? And by compass I mean a circle with tic marks of varying sizes at N, NNE, NE, ENE, etc.
I was thinking something more obvious. If there's an in, an arrow pointing up appears to the left of the room, if out then an arrow pointing down appears to the right of the room, that sort of thing. Clear and obvious at a glance.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Here's a feature request: I'm having issues with clicking on blank space in the map causing a modal dialog to pop up. I'd rather nothing happen, rather than a modal dialog telling me it can't find a room.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Yeah, I agree with that.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

idea: It seems to me that the map database contains other information, as well: such as if the room is registered as a shop or not. I'd like to see this extra information presented!

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

It doesn't. Download the xml from <ire game>.com/maps/map.xml, the current format is described so far at http://mudstandards.org/MMP_Specification, with the forums on the same site designed to expand the protocol - but that effort so far has been a massive pile of failure with clueless people whining a lot :roll: .

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Vadi wrote:It doesn't. Download the xml from <ire game>.com/maps/map.xml, the current format is described so far at http://mudstandards.org/MMP_Specification, with the forums on the same site designed to expand the protocol - but that effort so far has been a massive pile of failure with clueless people whining a lot :roll: .
Ah. I was thinking it was a raw dump, not a conversion.

Seriously, though, it can't be that hard. The data is already there, and it's simple data!