Mudlet Mapper

tarrant

Re: Mudlet Mapper

Post by tarrant »

vinc456 wrote: Idea 7: Exploded diagrams. This is analogous to folding/collapsing code blocks except you do something similar for areas/subareas. For example a city might be represented as a huge map. If you're not interested in all the detail you might hide the group of rooms that and replace it with the simple label "Shopping area". To manipulate the map, the user could drag a rectangle over areas of the map and in combination with the shift and ctrl keys select all the rooms they are interested in a manner similar to the way you would highlight/select files in a directory. (try a file manager like Thunar) Then you right click, select "group", name your group, and manually place a label somewhere convenient. A small rectangular box with a "+/-" sign would allow you to fold and unfold. Now you can have area commands where you re-enable all rooms in a group (see Idea 1).
Like zMud/cMud zones?

vinc456

Post by vinc456 »

tarrant wrote:
vinc456 wrote: Idea 7: Exploded diagrams. This is analogous to folding/collapsing code blocks except you do something similar for areas/subareas. For example a city might be represented as a huge map. If you're not interested in all the detail you might hide the group of rooms that and replace it with the simple label "Shopping area". To manipulate the map, the user could drag a rectangle over areas of the map and in combination with the shift and ctrl keys select all the rooms they are interested in a manner similar to the way you would highlight/select files in a directory. (try a file manager like Thunar) Then you right click, select "group", name your group, and manually place a label somewhere convenient. A small rectangular box with a "+/-" sign would allow you to fold and unfold. Now you can have area commands where you re-enable all rooms in a group (see Idea 1).
Like zMud/cMud zones?
I haven't used the zMud or cMud mapper but if something already exists then great. Do you find zones useful or would everyone's time be better spent working on other features?

tarrant

Post by tarrant »

Zones make for neat maps. I have 1 huge map and all the sub areas are stored within zones. You can store zones within zones for subareas within subareas etc..

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Vadi wrote:I just don't think room disabling will be that frequent to do to make it use the very easy option of double-clicking like that.

imho, double-click should mean go to, single-click selection. just like files in a file browser.
Well, in a windows file browser, linux uses single clicks for execution and a separate system for selection.

Though I made that suggestion myself. single click should give you info on a room, double click should walk you to it.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

tsuujin wrote:
Vadi wrote:I just don't think room disabling will be that frequent to do to make it use the very easy option of double-clicking like that.

imho, double-click should mean go to, single-click selection. just like files in a file browser.
Well, in a windows file browser, linux uses single clicks for execution and a separate system for selection.

Though I made that suggestion myself. single click should give you info on a room, double click should walk you to it.
Not all linux file managers use single click to execute, and often the ones that do have the ability to change it.

edit: had it pointed out to me I meant file managers, not window managers. While often a window manager will use a specific file manager by default, this is no reason for me to be inaccurate =)

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

demonnic wrote:
tsuujin wrote:
Vadi wrote: Not all linux file managers use single click to execute, and often the ones that do have the ability to change it.

edit: had it pointed out to me I meant file managers, not window managers. While often a window manager will use a specific file manager by default, this is no reason for me to be inaccurate =)
I wouldn't have called you on it anyways. Just joking, not trolling.

I'd like to see a legend built into the viewport. Bottom left would be good, to display what colors equate to what room type.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

They don't at all actually at the moment, a level is colored in the same color

Wyd

Post by Wyd »

Another feature I'd like would be room notes

Basically, by placing your mouse over a room, it would show a small window with whatever "notes" the room had

These notes could be easily cleared/rewritten to, but would allow you to keep track of information about rooms (Which would be saved, so they're viewable next time the mapper is started up).

This could also be extended to display things like items/denizens that can often be found in the room, the room name and description and so on, with a way of toggling what is shown on and off

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Wyd wrote:Another feature I'd like would be room notes

Basically, by placing your mouse over a room, it would show a small window with whatever "notes" the room had

These notes could be easily cleared/rewritten to, but would allow you to keep track of information about rooms (Which would be saved, so they're viewable next time the mapper is started up).

This could also be extended to display things like items/denizens that can often be found in the room, the room name and description and so on, with a way of toggling what is shown on and off
Sounds better as a "single-click" function than a mouse-over. Drawing your mouse over the map to get to a certain room would be too processor intensive were it to try and load windows with all that information for each room you pass over.

I'd envision it as a certain section of the mapper viewport being designated the "current room info" section, and clicking on a room would show you that information about it. Double clicking would move you to the room.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Vadi wrote:They don't at all actually at the moment, a level is colored in the same color
well, at the moment it would be
[purple] = [depth below you]
[green] = area connector

and so forth.