Mudlet Mapper

Vadi

Re: Mudlet Mapper

Post by Vadi »

Looks fine to me to be used, as long as it's very scriptable - we can re-color rooms, change their transparency, place objects inside or pixmaps on the walls. Along with making labels that are in the 3d space and are pointing at specific points (for example, I'd like to be able to track enemy group movement - have a label displaying the names in the group and it pointing to different rooms are the group is moving).

Oh, one idea for the default is your path - for example if you're walking somewhere, it'd be nice to have the path the mapper will take be highlighted. Perhaps by turning the exits into blue lines and optionally glowing.

Wyd

Post by Wyd »

I like the changing transparency idea..while the different colours for the different levels works, it does get a little confusing - fading levels out the further away they are from the current level might make the output cleaner, yet still give you some sense of where everything is.

Wyd

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Two panels - one for displaying current information, another for doing actions with it. Panels are movable, you can dock/tab them on any side in any order or have them be atop the window:

Attached is the qt designer file.
Attachments
mapper.zip
(2.22 KiB) Downloaded 346 times

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

I am highly excited about this! Before I read that you were working on this, I had a few pages of notes ready to build a third party program to do exactly the same thing, and just have to transfer data back and forth using hacky methods. This is a much better solution.

Edit: Any idea when a beta will be ready for trial?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

It's still a long ways to go. Best to recommend what you'd like now.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Vadi wrote:It's still a long ways to go. Best to recommend what you'd like now.
Looks pretty good. I'd like a full 3d viewport (which I am taking as a given) with full axis camera movement (which I'm also taking as a given), and the basics like being able to define "special exits" (like having to SWIM or CLIMB something).

Other than that, I just want a 3d path walker. That'd really be awesome.

kaeus

Post by kaeus »

How is the map currently generated, and how well would it handle say, porting something from IMapper thats used in IRE games.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

"porting something"?

Everything with the right amount of effort put into it will work... it doesn't use the IMap format currently for anything though, no. Unnecessary on IRE since they've uploaded map data for us to use anyway.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I posted proposed graphical mapper controls earlier in the thread: http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php? ... t=40#p2710

I'll second hempas point of command controls as well. In particular, a find command that does a substring search on room names (also has a safety feature: if there are more than 30 results, it won't display any but say something like: (Mapper): 19964 rooms match this search! If you want to still display them all, use find y <room name>.)

That, and a goto command - goto roomnumber will walk directly to that room number, or goto area will walk to the area name on whom does a substring search work. ie, goto 4312 or goto ashtan.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

new screen shot with all layers above your current position being transparent.
Mhaldor in Achaea
Bildschirmfoto3.png
This is the hades or whatever you call it of Imperian. My test char died and I have no clue how to get out of there :) The auto walker can't walk me out so there must be some special trick ... help :)
The attachment Bildschirmfoto5.png is no longer available
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto5.png