Mudlet Mapper

Vadi

Re: Mudlet Mapper

Post by Vadi »

Floor is what is shown in the original screenshot... and it really doesn't look spectacular.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

A good idea raised though was to make the rooms be not perfect cubes but flatter. Maybe just twice smaller in height.

Caled

Post by Caled »

Cube dimensions could be a user defined option.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Caled wrote:@Jeremy
Perhaps now is a good time to bring up 'space' from the upcoming Tears of Polaris game. That is an instance of a three dimensional mud (or area of the mud) which is limitless, and based around x, y and z coordinates. Movement will be a direction + speed, rather than a room by room thing.

There are other muds like this, but you are here/now in this thread, and it is one of your games.
Space is certainly an interesting issue on Polaris. Maybe something can be done before it opens. Once these guys get this done, I may harass them about the possibilities there.

KaVir

Post by KaVir »

Alexander Divine wrote:Say, I don't know a whole lot about how your mapper's workin' out there, but with all of the functionality you're building into it, do you think I actually get my map to look like my mockup?
I'd definitely be interested in something like that, too. My mud isn't room-based, so the mapper wouldn't be any use to my players, but it'd be nice to have a graphical replacement for the ASCII maps (even a simple overhead display would be an improvement).

Daagar

Post by Daagar »

This may have been covered already, but I got distracted by the pretty pictures. I haven't mudded myself for some time, but the only reason I ever played muds to start with was due to mapping. I begged Zugg for features in the early mapping phases more than he probably needed to hear, so seeing the progress here has brought me out of the woodwork a bit.

One thing I'd like to see (in addition to heavy consideration for how 'portals' are handled which is a bigger priority - but, someone else described this in detail already) is how to merge/extract "zones". Frequently while mapping, you'll be carrying along and suddenly realize at some point that you've moved into a new area. Being able to easily bundle those rooms off elsewhere to keep the map a sane size is critical. This is probably an 'obvious' feature. A bit less obvious, I hope, would be some way to then view these zones in a sort of meta-map.

I'll use the MUD 3-Kingdoms as an example. They have 3 'major' areas: Science, Fantasy, and Chaos. Each of those major theme areas will then have smaller areas within, and areas within areas, etc. Some sort of flashy, editable view whereby you could arrange the 3 major areas and visualize the areas (and sub-areas) would be amazing. This ties a lot into the whole 'portal' handling as well, obviously. Sorry, I have no mockups as I don't honestly know how it would look. I'm hoping someone else is creative enough to figure it out though :)

Dhaed

Post by Dhaed »

This may or may not have been said, but Room Title information on mouse over would be tits.

Edit: Oh and worm hole links too! (this could be a manual or automatic thing, either way. I think manual would lend itself to rifts in Midkemia.)

Skylark

Post by Skylark »

A feature I"m sure users would appreciate is to add notes to a map that aren't connected to a specific room.

For example, if you go way back to Vadi's post of the Ashtan Bog (http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8557/ashtanbog.png), he has a few lines of text in the bottom right hand corner. The ability to add these notes in both 2d and 3d modes would be very useful.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

That's a good idea.

juraj

Post by juraj »

I'm not sure if this was posted, but it would be cool if there were a way to make auto-movement not use certain types of exits, or go through certain rooms, or zones. Using Achaea as an example, you wouldn't want to accidentally walk into a city you're enemied to, a room you knew had a totem that would attack you, or the forest if you're enemied to the forest. You might also want the mapper to not use certain exit types, like worm warp, if you were in an event where you weren't allowed to use warps.