mudlet TTYPE policy

xtian

mudlet TTYPE policy

Post by xtian »

At the moment mudlet sends a TTYPE of "Mudlet 1.0".

This is wonderful as it is the first client to encode the version into the TTYPE thus using it at is was intended.

But I (and I guess must other muds) will need to adapt their client identification code, so it might be useful to publicly write down how you intend to update your TTYPE string as you change the version.

Probably we should recommend to servers to parse the first word of the TTYPE to get the client name, yes?

For what version increments do you plan to change the TTYPE? I think 1.03 still sends "Mudlet 1.0" for example.

Thanks for the info,
xtian@avalon.mud.de

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: mudlet TTYPE policy

Post by Heiko »

OK, I'll update the client ID automatically with every new release from now on.

davidk

Re: mudlet TTYPE policy

Post by davidk »

I don't run a MUD myself, but I am currently playing with an experimental MUD-Driver/MUD-Lib I am writing and got some thoughts about the TTYPE option, too.
The Telnet protocol allows the server to ask the client for further TTYPEs until it either recognized one or the client repeated a TTYPE twice (after which the list starts from the beginning again). I guess it would be quite useful if the client first sends a TTYPE containing the version ("Mudlet 1.0") and following that a TTYPE containing just the name ("Mudlet").