Geyser Systems

Share your scripts and packages with other Mudlet users.
icesteruk

Geyser Systems

Post by icesteruk »

After looking through the forums (over an hour) Does anyone have any 'geyser' built systems?

I've noticed alot of designs/UIs with Veyzor (think thats spelled right) but none with just pure geyser frameware..

So, Is it even possible to just do a Geryser system.. the File attached is my own but for what I seen the ones for acheae are much more fancier...

(was unsure where to post this questions but thought here might be best)
Attachments
pic1.png

Jor'Mox

Re: Geyser Systems

Post by Jor'Mox »

It is 100% possible to do a very involved setup using Geyser. However, my personal experience with Geyser was rather frustrating, as it was very slow in comparison to using my own functions and the built in GUI objects. I haven't used Vyzor, so I can't comment on whether or not it is fast or slow in comparison.

Also, Geyser didn't provide an easy way to for me to position objects using a combination of pixels and percents of the screen. That particular point, and the fact that a quick inspection of Vyzor didn't reveal such a capacity to me, is what encouraged me to make my own GUI object management system. If you are interested, it can be found here.

icesteruk

Post by icesteruk »

Jor'Mox wrote:
Also, Geyser didn't provide an easy way to for me to position objects using a combination of pixels and percents of the screen. That particular point, and the fact that a quick inspection of Vyzor didn't reveal such a capacity to me, is what encouraged me to make my own GUI object management system. If you are interested, it can be found here.

I already have the above, but Was wondering what others also thought...

as I guess with your I'll have hundres of questions, just wondering mroe of HOW far can a geyser go... or if I should go to graphic through veyser :/ (graphcis are more confusing then coding itself to me)

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

All of the available options provide the full range of capabilities that Mudlet allows, using the same GUI objects as base components. So, anything you can make in one, you can theoretically make in any other.

Oneymus

Post by Oneymus »

Vyzor was designed as a "whole GUI" solution, meaning it expects to manage everything. It uses a parent->child hierarchy for relative position and resizing. Both position and size can be set using pixels or scalar (0..1) values.

However, it has proven to be somewhat more difficult to adopt due, I think, to its heavy-handed object oriented API. I do honestly believe (biases aside) that Vyzor offers more power than Geyser when your knowledge of the framework has risen to match its complexity.

If you want simplicity, however, there is a third framework on the forums (link) that promises to be very lightweight. It might be a good third option (fourth if you count raw Mudlet API).

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

You seem like you might know, Oneymus, can you set size and/or position in Vyzor as a combination of pixel and scalar values? Or is it strictly either or?

icesteruk

Post by icesteruk »

Oneymus wrote: If you want simplicity, however, there is a third framework on the forums (link) that promises to be very lightweight. It might be a good third option (fourth if you count raw Mudlet API).

I'm using that already in part of my system... Thanks for the input :)

Oneymus

Post by Oneymus »

Jor'Mox wrote:You seem like you might know, Oneymus, can you set size and/or position in Vyzor as a combination of pixel and scalar values? Or is it strictly either or?
Within any individual Frame, it's either or. But this is where the parent->child hierarchy shows its strength: if you want a UI element at, say, (10px + 10%) of the screen, it's possible.

You would have a parent Frame set to 10% (.1), then a child Frame set to 10px. The UI element contained by the child Frame would then be position at (10px + 10%). It's an extra step, yes, so it may not satisfy all tastes. But it fits in with Vyzor's modular design.

Ultimately, all Frames resolve down to the HUD, which is 100% of the Mudlet (modifiable) window. You can use the HUD directly, or you can use the Border Frames implemented as a convenience; these Border Frames cover all of the space that is NOT the main output console.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Okay, so essentially the same deal as with Geyser, though I would hope not so painfully slow when resizing the screen. Since I was going for a stripped down structure, I went the other way and built in the ability to use them in combination directly, which I personally find a bit simpler. But, I also have a relatively simple layout, so I don't mind positioning things "manually" rather than referentially.

Oneymus

Post by Oneymus »

Yeah, everything is done by reference to the parent.

As for speed, I don't suffer any appreciable performance penalties except using the Map; the Map has no publically available resize function, so I have to call createMap every resize. There is the potential for it to bog down quite a bit, but it should normalize once the window resizing is done.