I've looked at other MUDs, but I think RoD still offers something unique, sort of that Everquest style appeal and I'd like to help it find a more modern footing even if the back-end code doesn't continue to grow. But I'm not a regular dev, so if I fade from existence, feel free to grab the code and run with it.
So here is my UI package. It is very barebones, I left most of my generic RoD triggers and aliases out at this point, separating them from the UI code itself as I'd like to focus on keeping that self sufficient. I also didn't push anything to auto-install the generic mapper just yet - while the UI does reference mapper variables if they exist. I was just on the fence if the right approach is to push that on folks installing, although I do think it is a good fit for RoD.
- Copy RoDUI.xml to <C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Mudlet\<current version>>
- Launch a Mudlet profile to Realms of Despair
- Launch Toolbox -> Package Manager
- Press Install
- It should already be at the directory previously mentioned, if not, browse to it
- Select RoDUI.xml
- Press Ok
- Optional for Gen Mapper: Repeat process for <C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Mudlet\<current version>\mudlet-lua\lua\generic-mapper.xml>
- Press Ok
The UI is broken down to a few main tabs.
- Score: Contains most of your chars attributes, these are all of the ones that RoD will send over the MSDP protocol at this time.
- Group: This contains a summary of all of your Mudlet RoD windows to facilitate multiplay which RoD allows. I realize this may be confused with the actual Group term in RoD and I may rename this in a future release.
- Help: This contains a summary of MXP-style hyperlinks to the RoD help topics. RoD help topics are verbose and a summary helps a lot when you are attempting to navigate them. I'm hoping this works as a quick reference to help you navigate the world although I do think it needs better formatting.
- Footer: The bottom of the window shows your character's gauges as well as your current enemy, all XP stats, location info and affects (buffs) with their current tick count.