Tabbed Chat [w/ screenshot+package]

Share your scripts and packages with other Mudlet users.
Thylacine

Tabbed Chat [w/ screenshot+package]

Post by Thylacine »

Here's the tabbed chat script I've been using to split channels based on subject. I've revamped and packaged this now, so it should be reasonably easy to configure... Just import the 'tabbedChat.xml' file.

Technically, I guess the showWindow/hideWindow isn't needed if they're moved off-screen, but anyway

If you want mudlet to remember which tab was last open when starting a new session, you can optionally load the 'saveGlobals' file that includes a timer that activates every 5 minutes. Then all you need to do is table.load("/home/Brodie/.config/Mudlet/globals", globals) somewhere in-script, although Windozers will need to change the path for both.

Basically then, you call chatStartup() in a script, which then creates a window on the righthand side of the screen (dimensions not perfect) with a row of tabs on the top. Clicking these tabs highlights them and makes that particular 'channel' visible. You can customise the position/size in the chat script

Keep in mind that you'll need separate triggers for each channel now, the script section for each should look something like:

Code: Select all

selectString(line,1)
copy()
--To the "All" tab first:
appendBuffer("chatall")

--Say this was the (Market): trigger,
appendBuffer("chatmarket")

--Optional:
--deleteLine()
Available tab names: chatall, chatguild, chatcity, chatmarket, chatweb

Maybe it's not all that useful, it was mostly just an experiment :P

Edit: As per Heiko's request, screenshot!
(It's the box on the right)

Also, packaged and rewritten a little. Font text for labels is also white.
Attachments
tabbedChat_june25.xml
Update: Dynamic Wordwrap added
(7.65 KiB) Downloaded 1762 times
mudlet3.png
optional-saveGlobals.xml
(435 Bytes) Downloaded 860 times
Last edited by Thylacine on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vadi

Re: Tabbed Chat [w/ screenshot+package]

Post by Vadi »

What a crazy and wonderful idea. It's like the 2nd gen chat windows.

One prob though. Word wrapping?

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Yes, that's a nice idea and your screen looks really good also. What distro are you using?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

The big A top-left suggests Arch Linux.

Thylacine

Post by Thylacine »

Yeah, it's Arch 64 with KDE4. Not the modular version and I'm having sound troubles (laptop suspend etc), but otherwise it's great.

Also, thanks to whoever attached the screenshot. It wouldn't let me do it for some reason...

Crap, wordwrap. I thought that was in there :P. Give me a minute, then.

Edit: Uploaded, number of characters to wrap is dependent on the width of your tabs. Well, hopefully anyway.

Yoru

Post by Yoru »

Before i ask, this package has been so helpful for me to keep up with overflowing chats in 50 gabillion channels. Thanks so much!

However I've been having problems whereby when it copies the chatlines over it cuts off after 2 lines. As in 2 lines is the max it will copy. How do i fix this? It's not a terrible annoyance but i think if nobody else noticed this then it must be a problem in my settings?

Thanks!

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

This package expects you to use "config screenwith 0" and also to set proper wrap width for the tabs according to how many chars your tabs can display per line.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

tabbed chat. currently set to go all the way across the top. same tab names and window names as OP. modified to be compatible with the windowresize() function/event. See post http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1208 for instructions on that.

Demonnic-tabbed-chatv1.xml
(9.09 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times

isaiah

Post by isaiah »

I use mudlet w/ screenwidth 80, how would I get this to handle more then 1 line tells?

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

isaiah wrote:I use mudlet w/ screenwidth 80, how would I get this to handle more then 1 line tells?
Honestly, nobody scripts for anything other than a screenwidth of 0, because it's just too needlessly complex.