Introducing: Mantis for Lusternia - Beta Release 5.0.1

Share your scripts and packages with other Mudlet users.
Jules

Re: Introducing: Mantis for Lusternia - Beta Release 4

Post by Jules »

Mantis Beta Release 4.2 is out, which fixes a lot of Autosipper bugs, thanks goes to Demonnic for a lot of the code, and Vadi for not strangling me for my stupidity!

Ilithyia

Re: Introducing: Mantis for Lusternia - Beta Release 4.2

Post by Ilithyia »

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread to discuss Mantis issues, so please feel free to redirect me to somewhere more active if I am in error.

Disclaimer: I am very, very new to Mudlet, Lusternia, and coding, in general, so please try to be patient with me. I'm trying to learn by trying to understand existing code. I have absolutely no formal background in coding and am trying to teach myself.

After using and fiddling around with Mantis, I ran into a few things that confused me:

1) Why are there aliases for all the herbs, salves, etc. when it looks like the cures are sent through the "Affliction Queues" scripts from the tables? I don't see anything that enables these aliases (except for maybe the pipes).

2) I noticed that a couple of the triggers for the "Addiction" affliction include:
"The cloud of fragrant smoke coalesces into the scene of a roaring forest fire. Flaming branches rain down all around you."
"You are too close to the fireworks and are caught in the blazing explosion!"
Should these triggers be for "Ablaze" instead? I'm very inexperienced in combat, but it seemed out of theme with "addiction".

3) I noticed that there were several variables w/ cures in the affliction tables that are not in any of the affliction triggers (i.e. bedevil, broken_wrist, chest_pain, collapsed_lungs, depression, etc.). Are they being added to the tables from somewhere else that I should be looking?

4) For an affliction that doesn't have an unafflicted line (i.e. numbed limbs, etc.), how would I go about removing it from the queue so that it doesn't keep trying to apply the cure over and over again?

Sorry for being such a newb. I appreciate your assistance! Thanks for everyone's work on Mantis so far! It's been fun dismantling and learning from it!

Jules

Post by Jules »

Excellent! I'm glad that someone is still using this! Hehe! Mantis BR 4.2 is pretty outdated and doesn't work all that well, but it's still being worked on. I'm actually working on Beta 5.0 right now, which is a complete re-design of the script. I'm also glad to see that someone is using the code for the very reason why I started this project: to learn programming! Sweet!

Anyhow, onto your questions!

1) Originally, those aliases were used in the code to send cures, but now are not completely necessary. They're now only really useful to manual-cure, and to shorten what you type. 5.0 will not come with them, so you can safely delete them, if you wish.

2) I got all of my affliction lines from an outside source... So blame them!

3) Those afflictions are not currently being utilized right now, because I don't have affliction lines for them. They'll be used in 5.0.

4) I believe those that don't have curing lines naturally go away after a few seconds. I suppose you can actually delete those affliction triggers, but that's your call.

Again, thank you very much for continuing with this project, and if you have anymore questions, comments, or additions you think should be utilized, feel free to post them here! This is the space to do it!

Ilithyia

Post by Ilithyia »

Oh, wow! What a quick & helpful response!
3) Those afflictions are not currently being utilized right now, because I don't have affliction lines for them. They'll be used in 5.0.
Oh, ok. I wasn't sure if I was navigating the script correctly or not.
4) I believe those that don't have curing lines naturally go away after a few seconds. I suppose you can actually delete those affliction triggers, but that's your call.
Actually, I'm not even sure that Mantis had any affliction triggers that didn't have unaffliction triggers (except maybe attraction?). I was curious, because I was going to add numbed limbs and a few others that didn't have unaffliction triggers. I think the way I'll approach it is to not add it to the queue at all, but have the cure in the trigger.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

Ilithyia wrote:Oh, wow! What a quick & helpful response!
Actually, I'm not even sure that Mantis had any affliction triggers that didn't have unaffliction triggers (except maybe attraction?). I was curious, because I was going to add numbed limbs and a few others that didn't have unaffliction triggers. I think the way I'll approach it is to not add it to the queue at all, but have the cure in the trigger.

While this is certainly a viable approach, I would advise against it. It can make the coding of the rest of your curing a nightmare, and also if they find out you'll always try to cure affliction X right when you get it, they may affliction stack to overload that curing balance. I doubt there's never any line from the mud when you cure, it just may not say it's curing affliction X. But it would generally have a line for when you send the cure. "you apply health to your legs" or some such. When you trigger off that line, run a check to see if you're curing an affliction which you apply health for but has no other unaffliction line.

Ilithyia

Post by Ilithyia »

demonnic wrote: While this is certainly a viable approach, I would advise against it. It can make the coding of the rest of your curing a nightmare, and also if they find out you'll always try to cure affliction X right when you get it, they may affliction stack to overload that curing balance. I doubt there's never any line from the mud when you cure, it just may not say it's curing affliction X. But it would generally have a line for when you send the cure. "you apply health to your legs" or some such. When you trigger off that line, run a check to see if you're curing an affliction which you apply health for but has no other unaffliction line.
Awesome! I didn't think about that! Thanks for the help!

Ilithyia

Post by Ilithyia »

Ok, so I started logging for the first time yesterday to try to improve these 'reflexes'. One thing that I noticed is that if an affliction gets triggered and added to the queue but I don't actually have it, I'll keep eating the herb or using the cure until I hit 'init' again to clear the queues or the herb is all gone, since there's no 'cure message' to trigger its removal from the queue.

One way I thought of resolving this is that whenever I use a cure and I -don't- get a cure message, to remove every affliction associated with that cure from the queue. However, I know how to trigger actions from messages you receive, but I -don't- know how to trigger actions from -not- receiving a message.

For example-

Normally, when you get:
"You eat a bunch of pennyroyal.
Sanity returns to you and you are no longer demented."
The second line triggers the removal of dementia from the queue.

However, I'd like for when you just get:
"You eat a bunch of pennyroyal."
without a second line, it removes dementia and any other affliction cured by pennyroyal from the queue. I'm not sure how to get the system to recognize the lack of a second line, however.

I'm not sure if I made any sense at all. I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!

sephiel

Post by sephiel »

My system for clearing herbs is pretty ugly, but basically it uses three variables - ateHerb, lastherb and herbCured. LastHerb saves whatever eating command I sent last, ateHerb=true when I actually eat the herb, and herbCured=true when the affliction gets removed.

The prompt then checks if ateHerb==true and herbCured==false, in which case it resets the values and clears whatever afflictions are related to that herb.

Hope that helps!

Ilithyia

Post by Ilithyia »

That's a great idea! And I don't think it'll be that hard to just post it onto Mantis without changing much.

Ilithyia

Post by Ilithyia »

WARNING: This is a -really- basic question. Please go easy on me! :D

I'm trying to learn how to be a better combatant, so I added echoes to the Mantis triggers to make it easier for me to discern what's happening while going over logs. However, I can't figure out how to get them on a new line. This is what I have so far, but obviously the <send("/n")> part is wrong.

Code: Select all

setBold(true)
setBgColor(255,204,204)
setFgColor(96,0,0)
send("/n")
echo("DEMENTIA!")
resetFormat()