Mudlet features and API requests

Belgarath
Discord: macjabeth#7149

Re: Mudlet features and API requests

Post by Belgarath »

ktiedt wrote:I would love to have an escape char for the cmd separator! One of my biggest annoyances to date!
Yes, yes and yes! Long have I suffered the semicolon splitting my nicely punctuated sentences.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Setting it to a double semicolon fixes the problem.

Belgarath
Discord: macjabeth#7149

Post by Belgarath »

Vadi wrote:Setting it to a double semicolon fixes the problem.
But I don't like typing two semicolons... just typing one semicolon in the midst of a battle is a lot easier for those who fight manually and need to stack up commands, typing ';;' is ... not very pleasing to the eyes and it also takes up valuable typing time.

Also in response to @SlySven, couldn't the apostrophe's just be escaped with \? Same as something that could be added to the command line should someone want to type out an alias without it actually firing?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Double-tapping ; isn't slow but ok :P you also won't see the double ;; on the screen because it is removed, so nothing unaesthetic there.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

But then: "did I just press the semi-colon once or did my finger slip and I entered two?" so it ought to be visually changed to show this - I know, let us invert the colours for it ah I haven't done the code for invert/strikethough/overline to do that yet...

ktiedt

Post by ktiedt »

why is there a sudden opposition to the well tested pattern of having an escape character? *boggle*

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Nah, I wouldn't be opposed to having one added. Just pointing out that this can be dealt with.

chris

Post by chris »

I already made the escape char feature once. It must have gotten lost in the transition from sourceforge to github so it can be put back in.

phasma
Discord: phasma#4694

Post by phasma »

Unless I am missing something, we currently have no way to reliably ascertain Mudlet version via the Lua API. Because of this, might I propose the following:

Code: Select all

getMudletVersion()
This would return a string, giving the current version. I opted for a string to assist those of us using n.n.n-dev branches.

Thoughts?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

For the most part you should be checking for the functions you need, not hardcoding to a particular Mudlet version. There are edge cases where doing that is hard, so that would be useful, but a bad programming style.