Mudlet features and API requests

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: Mudlet API requests

Post by Heiko »

1. Mouse events are already available -> manual. You can already write code to resize and move your windows.
2. What are mouse rollover events?
3. Modal dialogs are certainly a good idea. The question here is how to define them via scripting. -> ideas welcome
4. We currently have 2 similar scriptable dialogs to retrieve file and directory pathes.

Omit

Post by Omit »

1) yes saw the mouse sys events but, I was talking about mouse events for labels. There is currently one that is based on the "click" of the mouse on a label. Take a look at most any button interface, notice that events do not happen unless the mouse is released on the button. What I was asking for is the ability to attach a mouse release event to a button in the same way you can now attach a click event. Mouse down events for buttons typically are sounds, changes to the mouse pointer, and change to the buttons appearance. (menus,tabs,drop down lists use the mouse down events to preform an action but most any button that you click would use a mouse up event. That is pretty standard for any GUI)

2) A mouse 'rollover; event (have heard other names) is simply when the mouse pointer hovers over an object (like a label) and allows you to change the mouse pointer, show an additional bit of information (like a tooltip) or whatever. (like changing the pointer to a double arrow at the edge of a window to indicate it can be resized)

If you could get the xy of the click(on a label) and findout where the user released the mouse. you could easily move a label/window. Add ability to change pointers on rollover,click release.... the pointer could change to an open hand on the area you can click to move the window, change to a closed hand upon click(maybe even play a sound). If you add the ability to know where the mouse pointer is on the screen you can then use a timer or a loop to refresh the window as it moves.(otherwise the user can't see it's moving or have the ability to line up well) This would add greatly to the "feel" of the interface.

3) I was looking at "iup" today. it has some pretty good looking dialogs and lua can be extended with it however I am unsure if it was ever tested on a mac. Truth is even a simple dialog would do. Something like....

b , text = invokeDialog("title of the dialog","dialog text",1,"Cancel","OK")
button pushed, text entered = invokeDialog(dialog title,dialog text, 1=show text input 0 = no text box,button1(defualt button),button 2)

or something like that.

I have seen the other dialogs and they are useful (I have used them)

P.S. I just noticed that the user defined buttons also fire on the mouse down event, this should be changed to use the mouse up event. (Just like the menu buttons do. Connect, Scripts, Aliases.... Check it out there is a difference and the mouse up event is the "standard" way to do this.)

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Functions to enable/disable anti-aliasing in miniconsoles.

Tahlnaith

Post by Tahlnaith »

Not sure if this counts as an API request or not, but I'd like to be able to drag items between settings windows, such as if you have two sessions open and both scripting windows up. For example, I'm logged in on both Aetolia and Achaea and I have both Alias windows open, I want to be able to drag an alias from my Aetolia settings to Achaea, without having to copy/paste the code or something.

Glass

Post by Glass »

Working on a certain Mudlet-based GUI project and a few things are coming to mind that I'd like to see.

Seconding the request for a mouse-over function for labels. It may not seem super-useful, but for those of us doing graphical work, it would be really sweet to be able to make a button "light up" or even animate.

I'm not sure how the CSS in setLabelStyleSheet() is implemented - whether it's honest-to-goodness CSS or QT trying to imitate it, but it's severely limited.
  • Setting border radius by shorthand is quirky. Try adding "border-radius: 10px 10px 10px 10px;" to your label's stylesheet. It's a little odd, I can't tell if they're being drawn behind the label or what. It seems to work just fine if you do each one individually (border-top-left-radius: 10px;), but then, only if you specify nice, safe ranges, between about 1-7px. If it helps to specify, I'm running the latest Mudlet pre6 on Windows 7. Disregard that, I'm a moron.
  • No support for text-shadow. It would go a long way to helping make more professional-looking labels. It's just damn sexy. (http://www.css3.info/preview/text-shadow/)
    Example of me playing with text-shadow: (http://ankyreanarchives.com/wiki/Sandbox/Nausikaa)
  • Only a minor gripe: Setting a background image via CSS on Windows requires rather unWindows-like notation: Using a forward slash instead of backslash for folders. (Ex: C:/Users/blah/blah.png) I doubt you can do anything about it but if you can, I'd give you an e-hug.
  • No support for the opacity property. (http://www.w3schools.com/Css/css_image_transparency.asp) If anything, I would want this most of all, as it would make it far easier to animate graphic elements.
    If not this, then could we look into making images set by setBackgroundImage() transparent instead? I'm trying to achieve a fade effect.
Not graphics-related: It would be nice if the Manual option in Mudlet's menu took you straight to the manual, instead of that preface page. (http://mudlet.sourceforge.net/wordpress/?page_id=40)
Last edited by Glass on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Denarii

Post by Denarii »

Try -webkit-border-radius

Support for CSS3 isn't complete in any rendering engine, so you will occasionally run into issues if you're referencing the CSS3 standard.

Glass

Post by Glass »

Denarii wrote:Try -webkit-border-radius
-webkit-border-radius didn't work. But then, curiously, on my big test label I just did the regular ol' border-radius and it displayed beautifully. I'm suspecting I did something funky with something I was working on earlier. Thanks!

Denarii

Post by Denarii »

Glass

Post by Glass »

I don't want to be dense, here, but I see that linked to a lot and I still have no idea how to apply that information.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

No support for text-shadow. It would go a long way to helping make more professional-looking labels. It's just damn sexy. (http://www.css3.info/preview/text-shadow/)

I agree but we can't change this - like Denarii pointed out, all that's supported is listed here: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.7/stylesheet-reference.html (for the QLabel stuff). We can't change the internals of Qt. QML, their new tech that's better QLabels probably has support for this, but it's not in Mudlet yet.

Example of me playing with text-shadow: (http://ankyreanarchives.com/wiki/Sandbox/Nausikaa)
Only a minor gripe: Setting a background image via CSS on Windows requires rather unWindows-like notation: Using a forward slash instead of backslash for folders. (Ex: C:/Users/blah/blah.png) I doubt you can do anything about it but if you can, I'd give you an e-hug.

Try using [[]] instead of "", ie [[C:\\Users...]].

No support for the opacity property. (http://www.w3schools.com/Css/css_image_transparency.asp) If anything, I would want this most of all, as it would make it far easier to animate graphic elements.

Opacity of an image or? Colours can already be specified for the alpha channel.

If not this, then could we look into making images set by setBackgroundImage() transparent instead? I'm trying to achieve a fade effect.