Mudlet features and API requests

Phoenix

Re: Mudlet features and API requests

Post by Phoenix »

Vadi wrote:Also, people would like a function to check the state of modifier keys (to allow ctrl+drag for example).
YES. We very much would.

Additionally, an event raised when a key is pressed and an event when it is released, similar to mouse clicks (I believe this exists with them), which would pass the Key Code as an argument... thus you could theoretically 'create' your own modifier key or 'key combos', such as 'when key 115 and key 116 are both depressed at the same time, run this code) (115 == F5, 116 == F6). As modifiers don't have keycodes, they would need to have their own functions or events.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Hm, inconsistency isn't good. It should be in line with how existing triggers/aliases work - so we'd want tempKey, killKey, permKey.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Vadi wrote:Hm, inconsistency isn't good. It should be in line with how existing triggers/aliases work - so we'd want tempKey, killKey, permKey.
Whoa, I think you misunderstood what I was asking for. But yes, those would be nice... but then you'd hafta be able to define "Keys" properly. How would that work? tempKey("Ctrl+A", "send('hi')") ?? Or how would it know which 'keys' you wanted to be used? The normal 'Keys' work by 'grabbing' the combo from the pressed keyboard keys.

What I had meant was actual 'events' raised when -any- key on the keyboard is pressed... I press the 's' key, 'key down' is raised with the argument '83'. When 's' is released, 'key up' is raised, with argument of '83' again. Using the default 'keyboard key codes' would be preferable for this... however the modifiers don't have key codes that I know of, thus would need their own events.

The suggestion of making 'your own modifiers' would simply be one way in which this could be used in scripting... You'd then be able create macros in the Lua, based off the raised events, and the functions called...

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Yeah, and that's what I mean, creating another little framework for macros that works quite differently, and has no UI equivalent, isn't the way to go. Something like tempKey("Ctrl+A", "send('hi')"), tempKey("Shift+Ctrl+A", "send('hi')"), and so on - yep. Not Mudlet events that then require you to stich things together to make a single combination work.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

There's no way to make a macro that -only- fires on the 'a' key though, for instance... so I can't know if 'A', 'K', and 'X' are held down together, and thus make something that fires if those three keys are held down, or pressed in quick succession... Granted, holding them / pressing them would also put them in the command line. But that'd be something that is 'well duh, we just raised the event that it got pressed and released, of course it got typed'.

As well, I realized there are codes for the modifier keys, so this would cover the 'shift', 'ctrl', 'cmd', 'alt', etcetera keys as well. There's no reason to not have an event on key press/release, and I know it's been asked for before... Why not, then we who want -whatever- that uses random key presses can have it.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Idea for the mapper: how about making locked rooms render in black and white shades? That way you'll be able to tell if an area is locked for walking, or a specific room in an area is, and so on.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

It would be nice if there was an "All" or "*" option for both the foreground and background portions of a color trigger. Currently if you wish to trigger on all instances with a certain background color, you have to create a color trigger for each foreground color to pair with that background color.

IE if I wanted to trigger off of any line with a purple background, I'd have to add color triggers for all 16 foreground colors with the purple background color also selected.

Rakon

Post by Rakon »

Would be nice if we could set the mudlet data directory to a custom location. Qt has the ability to save preferences to a regkey or other format of your choosing.

This would also help to begin making a portable (USB) Mudlet version.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Two things, which I feel go hand-in-hand:

When a "Key" is defined, it needs to over-ride the default that Mudlet makes for that key - IE, 'alt+n' if defined as a key should not open the notes for that character.

Secondly, each of these defaults that Mudlet has needs to have a function that goes with it, so they can be assigned other places if desired.

kkerwin1

Post by kkerwin1 »

Would love to be able to set a background image for the main console. I can make the image darker in an image manipulation program like GIMP to make the text easier to read, so there's no need for a colour filter to make the image darker, either.