command line update

scripter99

command line update

Post by scripter99 »

As of beta-8 the command line has been significantly improved.

1. Tab-completion: If you have started typing you can press the tab key to ask Mudlet to suggest corresponding words from the MUD output buffer. Shift+Tab goes back to the last suggestion. Repetitive use of Tab will show all possible matches of the word that you are typing in the MUD buffer. The matching is not case sensitive. This feature speeds up typing as you only have to type the first letter or two and then keep pressing Tab until the word shows up if it can be found in the MUD output i.e. the room description etc. Doublicates are removed. Matching direction is last in, first out.

2. Command completion: This works similarly to Tab completion, but completes from your command history buffer instead of the MUD output buffer. Start typing a word and then press cursor up. Mudlet will autocomplete from your command history. The first match will be the last command you typed that matches what you are currently typing. Pressing cursor up again will suggest the second last command that matches your typing. Doublicates are removed. Only the last occurence of a word stays in the buffer. Cursor down will back to the previous suggestion.

3. The esc-key will select the content of the entire input line. Any typing will overwrite the selection. To keep the text use the end-key. Pressing esc gets you back to command history. When you press cursor up / down now without having typed anything, Mudlet will go through the command history and stop at both ends.

4. Split screen can be closed with middle mouse button or control+return

If you have any further suggestions, go ahead and tell us about it before the command line is finalized.

Caled

Re: command line update

Post by Caled »

At the moment, hitting the up/down arrow will only cycle through the command history if the line is highlighted. If it is not, you're stuck with whatever command you've been typing in.

One of the best things about zmud, is if I am in the middle of typing something long (a say, an emote, a message) and someone says something to me that I want to quickly reply to before I finish the current thing I am working on - I can just hit the up arrow, which commits my current line to the command history.

I then hit the down arrow, which clears the line. I respond to the person that just asked me a question, then hit up arrow twice (or more) to get back to the longer thing I was typing.

Which brings me to another suggestion: hitting down arrow when at the more recent line of the command history (or while typing something new) should clear the command line. At the moment, if I type something long in and then decide I don't want it, I have to either hold down backspace to get rid of it letter-by-letter, or select all and delete.

Edit: Summary of request/suggestions
  • Up/down arrow to cycle through command history when command line is not highlighted
  • Hitting the up arrow when typing in the command line, should commit what is there to the command history without the need to press enter
  • Hitting the down arrow when at the most recent command in the command history, ought to clear the command line
  • Hitting the down arrow when typing something into the command line ought to clear the command line

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Sending what you type to the command history is a nice idea. We'd had to chose some kind of key combination to commit the current text to the command history without sending it to the network layer.
What about control+alt? (control+return is used to close the split screen) or shift+return?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

shift+return sounds nice.

ixokai

Post by ixokai »

control+alt is too easily used by something else; and shift-return, hmm... I'd almost prefer to see shift-return pop up up that editor on demand that you mentioned.

If the purpose is to commit the current text to the history and then clear it so you can type something else then get back to that later, I'd suggest ctrl+down.

But I dunno, I suck at key binding sanity.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

control+return to close the split screen,
ctrl+down to save in history,
shift+return to open editor.

That doesn't sound too bad