Append log to single file option request.

Proxy

Append log to single file option request.

Post by Proxy »

Hi,

Could it be possible for the developers to add an append log to single file option in their future release? It would be quite convenient to have everything in one place instead of having to keep checking for where a particular part of your log is.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Append log to single file option request.

Post by SlySven »

You mean for the log text or HTML to file action controlled by the per-profile "bottom" button? For the HTML form that is a bit tricky without reading the existing file and parsing the <head>...</head> section to establish the CSS styles already defined. An aspect of this that is on a back burner is to cache those styles and reuse them so that a definition of a particular fore and background colour and style is only done one and then referred back to if used again - this would significantly reduce the end file size of HTML logs. Nevertheless at present it ought to be possible to merge (or rather concatenate) several HTML logs manually by joining them at the <div>...</div> tags that are just inside the <body>...</body> tags for each file - that is why I made sure they get put in!

I.e. for files:

Code: Select all

1: <html><head>...</head><body><div>...</div></body></html>
2: <html><head>...</head><body><div>...</div></body></html>
3: <html><head>...</head><body><div>...</div></body></html>
n: <html><head>...</head><body><div>...</div></body></html>
Combine them manually:

Code: Select all

1: <html><head>...</head><body><div>...</div>
2:                             <div>...</div>
3:                             <div>...</div>
n:                             <div>...</div></body></html>
One thing I do intend to get around to is changing the ridiculous format used for the file name in several places including with log files which puts the day of the week first, then the month then the year before the time - it needs to have the most significant item (the year) FIRST so that the alphabetical sort order is the same as the date and time order - this will undoubtedly make it easier to find a specific log file you are looking for... and don't forget the power of command line tools like grep assuming that you are using a decent OS that provides such utilities! :D

Proxy

Post by Proxy »

Thanks for replying.

I meant text files only. html files get rather large, very quickly. I saw Wyd's logger package, but I have no idea how it works.

All I would really need is just a function so that the logs keep getting appended to each other in order, leaving a single txt file that can grow to however large it will be, but at least it'll be a single file. If we could choose our log location that would be a bonus, as well as being able to log echos in txt, but having them form a single file is most important in this case.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Well I've raised a report on this item - as bug 1579948. Whether It gets actioned any-time soon remains to be seen. ;)

Proxy

Post by Proxy »

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated.